Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One Hard Drive, Two Os....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 halfnerdhybrid

halfnerdhybrid

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:11 AM

first, a small, explanatory story (a rhyme, too)

a couple of years ago, this computer was in regular use by 3 people, then one day a lighting/thunder storm hit, and we didn't unplug it in time...there was a power surge, and when i tried to boot the computer the next day, it tells me a critical file is missing, and can't....so, we took put it in a closet and got another one.....in 2006, we found out you can reinstall windows XP, and start from scratch, which we did......except that it didn't RE install, there's just a second copy of windows XP on here, and we get this nifty menu to choose which version to boot now... end of story, on to the question....

is it possible that any files are still on the first install, if so, is it possible to access them and move them to the current installation, and then/or delete the first (and non-functional) intstallation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:21 AM

If you have two OS you should have two partitions which means that you should be able to click and drag files from on partition to the other and once you have moved the files that you want you can reformat that other partition and use it for storage.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:25 AM

Hi there, halfnerdhybrid, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

The more likely scenario is that the file that tells Windows where to boot from has a duplicate entry in it due to the reinstallation.

What happens when you choose the other version on the boot menu?

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 17 December 2007 - 05:26 AM.

#4 halfnerdhybrid

halfnerdhybrid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:49 PM

in order of replies

1) no, there are no partitions anywhere, that i can find....

2) it gives me an error message "windows has failed to boot because the following file is missing or corrupt : <windows root>\system32\hal.DLL" (or something very similar)

any and all help is greatly appreciated, as i feel this problem is affecting the performance of my computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users