Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converted File System Now Having Problems!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cm2007

Cm2007

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:27 AM

Hello,

I have a problem with several of my windows services ever since i converted my Harddisks both from FAT32 to NTFS 2 days ago.

I converted my C: Drive while it rebooted while my D; (data) drive was done after my c drive was converted and i entered windows XP.

Ever Since, my CPU usage will be high (20% or so) for a few minutes.

For these processes after i have login ( the time when the task bar icons show when the programs are being startup). My Harddisk will write for almost 3 mins when before i can have the whole computer come to a ready state in 1 min 30 secs.

The services are : Services.exe and Isass.exe

Under Event viewer i have the following problems (but they have been around from before i changed the file system):

The Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) service terminated with the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.
The World Wide Web Publishing service terminated with the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.
The Serial Tablet Port Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
The service metabase path '/LM/SMTPSVC/' could not be opened. The data is the error code.
The service metabase path '/LM/W3SVC/' could not be opened. The data is the error code.
Smart Card Reader 'O2Micro PCMCIA Reader 0' rejected IOCTL POWER: The smart card is not responding to a reset.
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( OZSCR ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: , IOCTL POWER failed with status 0xc0000014.

I run XP Pro SP2 without the disk as it came preloaded. All window updates are up to date.
I'm using Avast antivirus, just installed windows defender and windows firewall.
Windows defender did a quick scan and it was clean. However, if i tried to do a through scan with avast, ad aware or even the windows online one care full scan it will hang in the middle of it.

Please help if you can Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:34 AM

Hi Cm2007, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Try this: launch the command shell (click on Start then Run... type cmd and press enter). At the command prompt, type the following command and press enter:

chkdsk C: /r /x

then reboot and let Windows do its thing. Windows will check the file system for errors; this can take a while so go have a cup of coffee. After it finishes, and repairs any errors it finds, defragment C: and see if your troubles remain,

#3 Cm2007

Cm2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:12 AM

Thanks mate! It helped quite a bit. Even though it didnt completely restored my computer to the previous condition at least i dont experience too long a write time after the startup list has been loaded.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:36 AM

Glad to hear it! What symptoms remain?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users