Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event Viewer Disabled Not By Choice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ibdreamy

ibdreamy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:33 AM

Hello,

Vista Home Premium:

I tried to open my event viewer and it says "Event Log Service is Unavailable" Verify that service is running.

Ok, where do I verify that? It shows as disabled but I have no option to enable it.

I've had the computer for about 6 months and never needed to use it so I'm not sure how long it's been like this.

Plus, I opened the Reliability Monitor and it says last time it ran was in June! Gives me no option to run it again.

Something is a miss here.

Thank you,

Ibdreamy
:huh:

Edited by ibdreamy, 17 December 2007 - 02:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

Type services.msc in the run box, click OK.

The Event Log entry will be shown as "Windows Event Log" in the Services
listing. See if it's disabled from there.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 ibdreamy

ibdreamy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:05 AM

Type services.msc in the run box, click OK.

The Event Log entry will be shown as "Windows Event Log" in the Services
listing. See if it's disabled from there.

Right, I know where it's located it just that when I finally figured out that it wasn't working and I went to try to start the Windows Event Log in the Services manager by clicking on properties it showed up as disabled I changed it to automatic but when I tried to start it that's when it gives me the error and I have tried to restart it since I chnaged it from disabled to automatic..

The error:

Windows could not start the windows event log service on local computer

Error 4201 The instance name passed was not recognized as valid by a WMI data provider.

The last time this service was run was in June of 2007 so it's been like this for 6 months. Do I need to reinstall Vista? My computer is basically brand new and it came with Vista installed.

There is an option to roll it back to the factory settings. Would this fix it? Would this erase all my pictures and programs or just my settings? What would be your best advice in this situation? Reinstall? Rollback?

More details about my computer.....

Windows Vista ™ Home Premium

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
Model RK569AA-ABA m7750n
Total amount of system memory 1.88 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
64-bit capable Yes

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 373 GB
Disk partition (C:) 275 GB Free (366 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 86 MB Free (6 GB Total)
Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE
Total available graphics memory 831 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 128 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 703 MB
Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.6222
Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Network

Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter
Network Adapter Actiontec Gateway

Thank you!!

Ibdreamy :huh: Merry Christmas!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:11 AM

Rolling back to factory settings will restore the computer to the day it left the factory - so anything you'd like to save will have to be backed up first. This is the path that most users took on the Google search that I conducted ( http://www.google.com/search?q=Error+4201+...lient=firefox-a )

Interestingly, this thread ( http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=662676 ) seems to have some suggestions about ownership of the C:\Windows\Logs and C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles along with other suggestions. As such, I'd suggest first taking ownership of the C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles sub-directory and all containers beneath it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:53 PM

usasma wrote:

Rolling back to factory settings will restore the computer to the day it left the factory - so anything you'd like to save will have to be backed up first. This is the path that most users took on the Google search that I conducted ( http://www.google.com/search?q=Error+4201+...lient=firefox-a )

Before trying a system restore I would attempt running a chkdsk (which checks the disk for errors) and then
sfc (system file checker for windows).

Here's why:

Event Log Service is trying to TALK to WMI (windows management instrumentation) so that the service
can interpret errors on the system as well as communicate with the kernel (engine of the OS).

So, the possbilities are that the file system or registry are corrupted or that some hardware is failing to do it's
job. This problem could also be caused by the Event Log Service not being listed in the Registry which would mean
a Re-install of the OS.

That being said, back up all your data to another Drive or Media and check the hard drive for errors and fix them,
check the file system (requires the OS install Disk), and as a last re-sort, re-install the OS.

If you do not have a Generic/ copy of Vista (on that is just the operating system) then running SFC may not do any good
as SFC restores files from a system disk. It may be possible to point to a recovery partition for the system files, but I have
have never tried this.

to run the commands, click start > programs > accessories
Right click on the command prompt and choose Run as Administrator

Click continue on the pop-up that appears.

command for chkdsk is

chkdsk %systemdrive% /x

Command for sfc is

sfc /scannow

if these fail to resolve the issue, then you'll want to restore the pc
meaning a complete whipe of the harddisk. If you experience problems
beyond this then take the computer in for repair.

Edited by RandomUser, 25 December 2007 - 12:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users