Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Not Uninstall Installed Programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blacksnak47

blacksnak47

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:17 PM

When i go to Add/Remove Programs in control panel, i can not see the remove button after selecting the programs i would like to remove. Therefore i donot know how i can remove the unwanted programs. I tried deleting from Program files from safe mode but am hesitant as i might delete a crucial system file.

Besides that I can not view my hidden files. ONce its attribute is changed to hidden it it gone altogether. the status bar however, says that there are hidden files, etc... when i change the folder options to view all files, there is no effect as the 'Do not show hidden files' still selected.

Lastly i can not open my C and D drives or removable drives by double clicking from My computer. When i double click on any of them, a message comes up saying, 'Choose the program you want to use to open this file'.

I suspect that it could be a virus that's affected my computer.

Can anyone assist me in restoring my computer pls.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:54 PM

For the programs you want to install: have you looked to see if the program has an uninstaller?
Sometimes this option can be found under the program in the start menu. And some programs have the uninstaller in the program file.

If you are concerned that your computer may be infected:

Read the information
HERE:Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log

Prior to posting a HJT log, we ask that you please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log. Following the steps in this Guide will allow the HJT Team to quickly help you with specific fixes for what may remain on your system.

Please complete all the steps in the Guide. If you have performed some of them already, then just continue with the next. If you can't perform a step, then skip it and continue with the next. The last step will include downloading and using the most current version of HijackThis if the first line of your log does not appear as follows:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Please note that it is important that HijackThis be run and a log created while in normal mode. If you run it and create your log while in safe mode, you will be asked to redo it again properly. When you have completed those steps, start a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum as directed in the Guide to post a new log.

The log should be posted in
HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal

Please DO NOT post your log to this topic, or post a log in the wrong forum.

Once that is done, a Member of the HJT Team will analyze your log and assist you with step by step instructions to clean your computer or otherwise advise what needs to be done.

Thanks for your cooperation and good luck.
The BC Staff

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:54 AM

Basic steps: Run chkdsk from My Computer...then defrag the boot/system partition.

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users