Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware/adware Removal Program

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:32 PM

I was told to ask before I downloaded this program. STOPzilla.com
Sounds like a Mozilla product, doesn't it?
Is this a "safe" one?
It was listed in bold print on one of your pages here.

honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:51 PM

Hello, Personnally I would avoid it. it's a $20 pop up blocker . Albeit a good blocker if that's what you want. I definitely don't recommend using it as a means of blocking adware and spyware. The product is ineffective in this area.
Are you looking for security products? Have you seen this Bleeping Computer list Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
May I ask you what Antivirus,antispyware and firewall you are using now. Also the ISP as then we can recommend a better solutions.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

Sure thing + thanks for steering me clear.
AVG Free for virus
Spybot S+D and Ad-Aware 2007 for spyware+adware. I used to have ad-Aware SE Personal Free, but it appears that Staples replaced it with the 2007 version when doing a diagnostic on my CPU.
ZoneAlarm for firewall
ISP is Comcast.

I just got off the phone with Staples as my CPU went off again!!!!!! They're trying to tell me that Hotmail popper is malware?! Maybe that is what is shutting down my CPU....sigh. I just got my CPU back this past Friday+now it's having problems again--drat! :thumbsup:

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:40 PM

Hello again.
AVG Free ,Spybot S&D and ZoneAlarm for firewall all good.
Ok by CPU going off ,you mean crashed - shut down?
I see NO problem with Hotmail popper.
I do however have seen complaints here with Adaware 07. Causing a few different problems. Try disabling AdAware for a bit and see if it is the cause.
Suggestions:
Add SpywareBlaster and SUPERAntispyware(free Home version) to your PC,from above link.
They will run in background. They as free versions need to be updated manually, weekly and (Super) before a specific scan.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:41 PM

My CPU shut itself off again! I'm supposed to take it back to Staples tomorrow after work to see why. I just disabled Hotmail popper, but I really don't feel that's the problem. I'll try to disable AdAware 07 + try the other 2 you mentioned.

I prefer to stick with this forum for help, really. A tech at another site told me that as I had a Root kit, I should uninstall Windows+re-install it again. I have NO clue as how to do that....sigh.

So I'm just going to stay put here at B.C. to get this mess sorted out. I really appreciate all your help :thumbsup:

honu1

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:53 PM

Before going as far as Re install
I wasn't clear enough earlier ,diable Adaware ,leave popper on
Also Comcast may have a free pop up blocker on their homepage. Mine does but it isn't Comcast.
This may be a hardware or OS issue. Is this XP home or Pro or something else. Let me know as I may move you to another section.
Open the Event viewer and see if there are ( ! ) or red ( X )

How To Use the Event Viewer Applet

#7 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:42 PM

Just got my CPU back from Staples again. The diagnosing tech wasn't there for me to ask questions, so I'll have to go back to speak with him tomorrow night or Saturday night.
Supposeddly Spyblaster, Superanti Spyware + Hotmail popper came up as virus????

I wasn't charged for this second time around, so I don't want to add any other programs for a few days to see how my system will act.

My system is XP Home version. I will look at the event viewer in just a bit + report back to you.

Thanks so much for your patience. Life sure is different with being connected to the web,eh?

honu1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users