Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limewire?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:01 PM

Hi,

I've been hearing that LimeWire is the best Torrent down loader out there.

Is that right?

I've been using Bit Torrent and just down loaded their latest .97 version. It seems to have been working just fine, I guess.

Am I misguided to use Bit Torrent?

Anyone able to give me pros and cons on either, both?

Thanks.

John :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnz414, 16 December 2007 - 07:04 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rccola717

rccola717

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:00 PM

Well, from my understanding, LimeWire is not a torrent downloader. It's I believe p2p (peer to peer) so it's a bit different. I'm not sure the name of what torrents do but they grab small packages from a bunch of different people so that you can grab a lot of information in a shorter amount of time. LimeWire is like a direct download like how download.com works. so the benefit of limewire is you can preview whatever it is you are download since it downloads from beginning to end. Torrents, however, do not. Since they are grabbing from multiple sites, sometimes you'll get the first part and then sometimes you'll grab the 56th part or however many parts that particular thing will have.

Pros LimeWire: Direct download, easy to preview
Cons LimeWire: Takes longer depending on the person you're downloading from and what you're downloading i.e. the bigger it is the longer it will take. And if the person leaves, you gotta wait for the same file to pop up again

Pros Torrent: Many small packets at a time so for big objects it will be faster to get
Cons Torrent: I believe it takes up a lot of bandwidth but i'm not sure if you can set that? And some torrents require you to have some to share as well or else they label you as a leecher and you get sucky dl. Also, you can't really preview something because you cant set when you get what packet so you may not get the first packets until the very end

I hope that helps you in any way.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:29 PM

Thank you, that does help. I didn't know the difference.

I guess I'll just expierement with them to see what they are good for.

John
John

Albert Einstein.

#4 rccola717

rccola717

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:43 PM

oh! one more thing. LimeWire is its own client like kazaa or ares and such so you do your search on it. Torrents work differently in that the client is only used for downloads. You need to find torrents online and that prompts the client to download

#5 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:00 AM

Actually.
The latest version of limewire supports torrent downloads.
And it is quiet good :thumbsup:

Read info on how to use limewire for torrents here

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#6 lost_case

lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:49 PM

I guess I'll just expierement with them to see what they are good for.

The best way to learn about something is to experiment it by yourself, and it is fun.
People live to learn, and learn to live...

#7 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:28 PM

Get uTorrent, its the best torrent downloader. The interface is the same as Bittorrent.
I havn't tried torrents in Limewire yet but I do use :magnet links although they're not as common.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#8 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

Thanks Guys,

I've checked LimeWire out it does seem to have a simpler interface than BitTorrent, that's appealing.

I'll use to for a while to see how it performs.

Happy Holidays!

John :thumbsup:
John

Albert Einstein.

#9 wildmike27

wildmike27

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:01 AM

I use Limewire/WinMx for individual songs/files and uTorrent for albums,software,movies
Limewire offers NO selection over quality (bit rate), actually Limewire sucks very well.
Toss Limewire, and install WinMx
WinMx is'nt near as simple to use as Limewire, but far more superior
check out this website for complete details on P2P apps.

http://www.vladd44.com/

#10 jase07

jase07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 05:27 AM

for me the best torrent client is Utorrent

#11 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:00 AM

For my torrents I've just been using LimeWire. Its been quick, painless and no need for any other programs on my system :thumbsup:

#12 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:16 AM

I use Limewire for songs and Bittorrent for everything else although Limewire is fast and simple it is very easy to get a trojan as their seems to be no control over such things as compared to a good torrent site like The Pirate Bay and though Bittorrent is not the easiest way the more you use it the better you get.

Edited by JacksonT, 26 December 2007 - 04:16 AM.

#13 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:24 PM

a comment; one hopes that all these computers are appropriately protected and that you have the relevent computer discs and license keys available and the time and energy to reinstall your OS's if you get infected from any of this practice? it only takes ONE infection to cause untold chaos on a machine ; and P2P discussion is a no no on any respectable forum (except how to get cleaned up from the resultant mess on your machine ); be very aware of copyright infringement when using these programs

#14 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:01 AM

a comment; one hopes that all these computers are appropriately protected and that you have the relevent computer discs and license keys available and the time and energy to reinstall your OS's if you get infected from any of this practice? it only takes ONE infection to cause untold chaos on a machine ; and P2P discussion is a no no on any respectable forum (except how to get cleaned up from the resultant mess on your machine ); be very aware of copyright infringement when using these programs

True but good security and re-install discs along with a little common sense are something you should have period and I dont see why you cant have p2p discussion on any forum no matter its respectability

#15 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:37 AM

True but good security and re-install discs along with a little common sense are something you should have period and I dont see why you cant have p2p discussion on any forum no matter its respectability

Common sense goes along way whilst using P2P software. Best advice is to stay away from anything under 2000Kbs, do not download exe or zipped files and your pretty safe I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users