Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free? Ebooks For Building Your Own Pc?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:08 PM

Hi,

Anyone know of good free eBooks and/or not to expensive ones for building your own PC.

I desperately need an upgrade for my PC, it's 4 years old and it's just becoming intolerable to use.

So, what I'm thinking of is a total new PC and I'm sure that I could build one from scratch but I'm not sure what parts to buy, compatibility and what not.

One of my niece's boyfriend was saying that he thinks that he could build one from scratch for around $300.00. That was on Thanksgiving Day. Only, I haven't been able to get a hold of him sense then in spite of my efforts to. I'm sure that he'd be able to help me out with my situation.

So, I was thinking of doing some research on the subject in the mean time sense I'll probably met up with him on Christmas when I'll make sure to remember to give him my card.

So, anyone? Thanks.

John :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnz414, 16 December 2007 - 06:09 PM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:18 PM

We can actually help you here on the forums. What is the primary use for the computer and what kind of budget are you working with?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:39 PM

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/pc-building/
Includes some good pics
newegg.com
One of the better online retailers for parts
If you talking Vista, I might increase the budget just a wee bit. Please don't skimp on the power supply
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:53 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for responding.

Well what I'm looking for is to make the very best office tool that I can. I am not much of a gamer, hopefully I wont disappoint anyone here saying that.

But, I am very much into being an office geek and I'm finding that my 5 year old PC with it's ancient CPU just can't cut the challenge of to days Office tools and their gigabyte programing.

I want to be able to open up my Office tools and carry on the research necessary to use them at the same time. You know, I want to be able to Multi task without crashing my PC, which I seem to do a whole lot easier these days.

MUSIC! I love my Music. It's another essential ingredient I have to have working all the time on my dream machine. I don't imagine that Yahoo! has anyone that comes close to how much music rating that I've done with them, I certainly haven't found anyone. I have a total of 119,926 total ratings, I've long had their "Ratings Master" title, that's a lot of listening and rating. I've labeled My Station "Easy Listening", I can't get enough of Jazz, New Age, World, Easy Listening of all types and varieties. I do like to squelch the loud and hard out of it though.

IE, I listen to music all the time and want to have the best guaranty that I get the best sound and that it will never glitch. So, a great sound card and software for this would be in order.

I've heard it said that using your PC for an Entertainment Center is a bad idea. Video Cards just don't seem to be living up to the task of including TV and the like on your PC.

But, I still find myself constantly entertaining the Idea how nice it would be to coordinate all that entertainment stuff through your PC. So, I don't know where video cards stand right now today on accomplishing that but I would like to at least kick that idea around at first before making my PC.

I've also been entertaining setting up RAID 5 or something close for performance and security. So, what ever is the best configuration for hard drive combos for this, 2 or 3 250 gig SATI HDs? (I understand that SATI is way faster than IDE, so I'd like to try SATI this time around).

I do have a 500 gig IDE that I can take form my current PC to use for extra storage.

I also have 2 - 75 gig SCSI that I'm not current using. One of them has a broken "ear" on the HD terminal.

As far as OS, I can start with my XP Pro that I'm currently using and then upgrade to VISTA sometime in the hopefully not to distant future. I would like to wait a bit yet in the hopes that they work more of the kinks out.

But, yes I would want it to be Vista ready at least.

Oh, I do run my Yahoo! Internet radio to my 5.1 surround sound receiver and love it.

I just wish that we could get at least 3 MB/sec downloading capacity. AT&T has been promising that for the longest time. I presently get only 1.5 MB/sec Internet speed.

And get this, I'd like to stay in the $300.00 ball park arena to do all this that my niece's boyfriend said that he could do it for.

Is that a hallucination or what?

Well, I can't think of anything else right now that might influence what to choose in making my dream machine but if I do I'll add a reply with it in.

And remember, hallucinations aren't real, so what ever you think it realistically is going to cost and what I might want to get to make my dream machine please, please feel free to enlighten me.

Hope to hear from you real soon. Thanks.

PS Oh, I've just recently purchased a 22" Acer display monitor for my new PC. I can't use it with the video card on my current PC, not compatible.

Edited by Johnz414, 17 December 2007 - 01:07 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#5 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:36 PM

hhmm

in the good ol' aussie dollar, you would want to spend around 800 on componenets alone to get it to do everything you want..

that would be a amd dual core cpu, misc am2 motherboard, 2+gb of generic ddr2, most mobos these days come with 5.1+ surround onboard so...i would recomend 2x320+gb sata2 in a raid 0 array...and a 150$ therbouts vidcard? then if u want a new case etc..but if u can steal some part from ur current pc, then you will be able to save a bit :thumbsup:

also - there is a multitude of resources online of "how to build your own pc"!! just google it =)
=)

#6 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 478 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:10 PM

Thanks,

That has helped me think a bit more clearly on what I'm looking for.

Happy Holidays!

John

Albert Einstein.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users