Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen After Boot-up (hard Drive Issue?)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hypnotoad521

hypnotoad521

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:56 PM

I have had my Toshiba M45 notebook for almost 2 years, and it's been fine up till now. Yesterday, I started up my notebook as usual and logged in through the XP login screen, but after my desktop had loaded and I tried to open Internet Explorer, the whole thing just froze and I had to do hold the power button down to get it to shut off. I tried again a few times, and the same thing happened (it froze every time I tried to execute a command from the desktop). Also, after the first time, for some reason my desktop changed from my picture to an error message that said "active desktop is disabled". This morning, I decided to try again, but this time something much more serious happened: after the initial Toshiba boot-up screen (before the Windows XP loading screen), a command line came up saying "Operating system not found" along with some other things and it wouldn't go any farther. I did a hard shut down and tried again, but this time, after the initial Toshiba screen, the screen just went black and didn't even display any white command messages. I checked in the BIOS and it detects a hard drive, but I really don't know what to do from here. Please help =\
Thanks,
Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:09 PM

Do you have an MS XP CD that is bootable?

Louis

#3 hypnotoad521

hypnotoad521
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:18 PM

Louis -
No, I don't...should I plan on buying one?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:47 PM

let's hope some hardware didn't overheat and get fried from too much dirt?

you should have a restore cd? from toshiba?

You can restore the M45 by insert the system restore disc that come with it and shut down the notebook, turn the power back on and hit F12 as soon as possible you will see the boot selection screen with little icon on the bottom select boot form the cd (this is boot from the bios not Windows) and follow the instruction to restore to factory default.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 hypnotoad521

hypnotoad521
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hmm...thanks Chewy, I'll have to look for that CD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users