Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permissions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 teclady45

teclady45

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

When I try and run msconfig from START, RUN; I get a message that says " Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file, you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I have full Admin Rights.
I can access Admin tools ok and everything in Admin tools. I just can't Run msconfig. Can some one please help.

I have an Hp Pavillion running XP Pro service pack 2 Can anyone help?I do not know if they are related, but since I have not been able to access msconfig, in the event viewer there are always several MSDTC errors.

Help please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:12 PM

Well, have you run a chkdsk on the system?

The detail of any error message is always much better than the summarized versions which users provide.

Louis

#3 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:21 PM

Could be malware blocking you from Msconfig. I would post a HiJackThis log in the HiJackThis logs and Malware removal forum to rule this out as the source of the problem.
X

#4 4InTheMorning

4InTheMorning

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:37 PM

Dosent blackviper.com advise you to use services.msc? although this is a limited tool 'BV' does provide a very valid reason for not using msconfig.

#5 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:58 PM

In case anybody is wondering what your talking about 4 here's the link-
http://www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP25.htm
Now the question posted was a problem about getting into Msconfig not stopping services from Msconfig.
X

#6 teclady45

teclady45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:28 PM

Yes the question is about getting into msconfig. Not stopping services. At one time I could use the msconfig in run now suddenly I can't.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:18 AM

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Restore Admin Tools (.msc) - #54 on the left.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users