Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wpa Activation Key

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:18 PM

Hey guys, I went ahead and reinstalled my Windows XP, all was going fine until asked for activation key, I inputted the one which was with the pack and now I get the error message, invalid key. This is the only activation key I have and the picture matches exactly the one on the screen, what can I do to get a new key? Im not going to call Microsoft for this as they charge for their customer phone support which I find utterly disgusting, have we not paid enough for the sofware in the first place! To give you further details the version I have of XP is from late 2003 and has SP1 written on it, which I believe refers to service pack 1 from what I can tell. Thanks for the assistance. I am wholly open to the idea of being given a hack code if anyone knows where I can get one, I paid for the product in the first place so whichever solves the problem mostly quickly the better basically. Thanks everyone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

It's likely that the activation failed because you've already activated that particular copy of XP.

When you attempt to activate (and it fails) you should be given the option to activate by phone. This is free and only takes a few minutes to do (I do it at work several times a week). The computer (on the phone) will ask you some questions and then will provide a series of numbers to re-activate your copy of XP. If you don't answer the questions correctly, they'll connect you with a human who'll ask you some more questions and then will give you the numbers to re-activate.

FWIW - We don't support "hacks" here, nor any other illegal activity.

Edited by usasma, 16 December 2007 - 04:26 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

Call Microsoft...you know the drill.

Louis

#4 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:30 PM

Odd, I don't get the option to activate the code via the phone. Do you perhaps know the free phone number to call in order to do this? Thanks guys, Nick.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:30 PM

Is this an OEM or a version offered with a computer or one you bought from a store. 2nd you are only installing this on 1 computer correct? If you have installed this version on more than one computer you have breeched the ULA and your key has been invalidated through windows Genuine validation tool. Either way you need to contact Microsoft and have the key reactivated. This call should not cost money. You may need to provide proof of purchase. There is also the chance that the key has been deemed invalid check This link.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:36 PM

Just to give further info in fact: the CD which I have says "Compaq Operating System CD" then on the next line "Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1". Could it be that this is not an actual XP disk and instead one issued by Compaq which does the same thing, however has a different WPA Key? Therefore perhaps this is the reason why I am getting the error message "Invalid ID Code".

#7 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:37 PM

Hey SneakyCyber, thanks, wrote my post at same time as you, will investigate this further.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:04 PM

Are you installing this back on the computer it came with? If not then we can't help you any further since its a Breech of the Microsoft ULA agreement and its against forum policy. You will need to purchase a new Xp CD. If you are re-installing this on the Compaq computer with replacement components you will need to call the re-activation hotline. I can't find the number anywhere online it just says it gives it to you when you try to activate windows.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users