Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2000 Forwards Attachments As Winmail.dat Files

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 penguinpc

penguinpc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 02:54 PM

Outlook 2000 Cannot Forward Attachments

About three weeks ago I had a client whose Outlook 2000 installation had quit working. He could no longer receive emails and he also could not delete or send. Also, Outlook ran very slowly. His PST file had exceeded the 2GB limit. I solved this problem, I thought. I disconnecting the computer from the Internet and let Outlook try to download new emails until it finally gave up. At that point I was able to work with Outlook. I created a new PST file into which I imported the client's calendar and contacts. I then archived a large portion of the emails from his oversized mailbox. The remaining emails I copied into the new mailbox one folder at a time.

About two weeks later, the client called me and told me that he cannot forward attachments properly. Any forwarded attachments arrive in the receiver's mailbox as mailbox.dat files. I have researched the problem and have found out that this problem only occurs when the person receiving the forwarded attachments is using a client other than Outlook. I tested this with Thunderbird and Outlook and that is the case. The first solution for this was a rather easy one and I found it at support.microsoft.com. Unfortunately, it did not work. Below I will detail the steps I have taken to solve this problem in the hopes that someone can suggest something I haven't tried.

The client is able to save the attachments and send them in a new email (not forwarded) and they arrive without being converted into winmail.dat files.

This systems is running Windows 2000 and Office 2000 with all updates.

What I have tried:

1.Changed outgoing email to plain text per Microsoft support article 196784.

2.Checked setting in contacts for individual addressees and set sending option to plain text.

3.Used scanpst.exe on pst file. It found no errors.

4.Outlook was using Word as the email editor so I disabled that option.

5.Disabled Bitdefender antivirus.

6.I created a new PST file and then changed the settings in Outlook to deliver all mail to the new mailbox. I closed and restarted Outlook as prompted. Outlook would start but then crash, displaying the error “Outlook.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.” Restarted Outlook generates the same error each time. Functionality can only be restored by deleted the new PST file and redirecting Outlook to the previously used PST file the next time it is launched.

7.I uninstalled Office 2000 per Microsoft support article 252566. As recommended by that article I also used the Office 2000 File and Registry Eraser Utility. Because I used that utility I did not manually edit the registry or manually remove any files.

8.I reinstalled Office 2000 including all updates. When I launched Outlook it told me that it had detected that Outlook had previously been installed and did I want to use those settings. I should have perhaps chose 'No' but I chose 'Yes'. Outlook started back up and I could still not forward attachments. I once again tried to create a new PST file but Outlook still crashed when I set email to be delivered to the new mailbox.

9.A strange thing that has been happening after this computer has been booted up is that it prompts the user to install some missing files for Net Folders. I was therefore excited when I found the following post on an Internet forum: “We were getting the same issue with Outlook 2000 and Windows 2000 Pro because of Net Folders. I ran the Nfclean utility the problem went away. You can do this by going to Start => Search => Find Files and Folders, type in Nfclean and search. If you have Net Folders installed, it should find nfclean.exe. Just double click on to run, you'll just see an hour glass while it runs, there is no interface. Then launch Outlook.”

I ran the search for nfclean but it was not found.

I am continuing to research but I am just about out of ideas. I feel like I am beating my head against a wall. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users