Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Power Chord?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 02:34 PM

Working on a system for a friend that I built about 5 years ago.

A few years back a power outage scrambled the data on the hard drive.
I reloaded it & everything worked fine for a long time.

Twice this year the hard drive has become scrambled again. The last time I took it home. There were weird characters in the volume label. Used a debug script to blow it away. Fdisked and formatted the drive. Drive is a Western Digital & passes full diags. Memtest reports the ram good.

I formatted it and reloaded it at my place. Had the system for over a week. Turned it on multiple times. Everything appeared ok. Turned the system on for one last check immediately before taking it back. It was fine.
I figured I was done. Not so.
As soon as I plugged it in at her house the hard drive was scrambled again.
She suggested that the power chord at her house might be bad. When I took it home I took nothing but the box.

Interesting thing we noted is that what is now on the scrambled drive is exactly the way it was when I picked it up except the volume label is blank.

Any ideas?
In the beginning there was the command line.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:10 PM

There's something wrong with her system - most likely the PSU, motherboard, or BIOS (IMO). But it'll take some troubleshooting to figure out exactly what's causing it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

I thought the same as well at first
But everything worked perfectly on my workbech for over a week. Scrambled as soon as I turned it on at her place.

I have heard of a bad power chord causing a weird problem before, but only once. One would never think of that either.
I inspected the chord & didnt see any obvious damage.
My thinking is that it has to be power related somehow. Chord or power strip possibly?

You thing it might be something as simple as a failing battery?
I think it was plugged in the entire time it was here but I cant say for certain.

Edited by Eyesee, 16 December 2007 - 04:31 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:50 PM

Sorry, I didn't see that you had the entire system - thought it was only the hard drive.

Still, there's something wrong here - and it's at her house. I don't see how a power cord could do this (although power fluctuations could cause it) - does she have a surge suppressor (not just a power strip - but a real surge suppressor)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:38 PM

If you have a voltmeter double-check the line voltage and make sure the ground hasn't been compromised and/or polarity reversed. Maybe something shifted(?) in the transport between locations
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:52 PM

Yes usasma, I made her buy a new one after the frist time it happened. We definitely know the first scramble was caused by a power outage. The other times were completely random. No power outages or dips.
I dont have a volt meter. Nor would I know how to use it.

I have known her for about 15 years. She is pretty computer savvy. Used to be a student of mine when I taught college.

Strikes me as really odd that the scrambled files are exactly the way they were when I picked it up originally. We both noticed that. Same date stamps and everything. Some were 1980, 1900 & the like. Wouldnt you think that whatever is scrambling the drive would make the file names random? I cant imagine how they would be exactly the same.

FWIW its an IWILL KK266 motherboard & 98SE. I already swapped the IDE cable.
I have the system back over here but probably wont be able to get to it untill after Christmas

Could it be a battery? I am almost positive that the system was unplugged when it was over here as I bring systems home all the time to work on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users