Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Logon To My Computer Help!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 debbie1008

debbie1008

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:12 PM

Hello,

I had a virus on my computer and I installed PC Doctor to remove it (so I thought). Now at the logon screen, I logon and it will not let me. I see my desktop (without icons) for a few seconds and then the computer logs me off. I tried to run in safe mode but the same thing keeps happening. PLEASE HELP!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:31 PM

Do you have an XP install CD by chance? You could do a repair installation. I had to do that very same thing last month and it worked like a charm. Programs and personal documents were not affected.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

Try selecting Last Known Good Configuration in the Safe Mode menu.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 debbie1008

debbie1008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 01:17 PM

I tried last know config., but that did not work either. The only xp cd I have is for my laptop. Can I use that for my pc too. I'm really frustrated! What could be the problem. I can't log on to even attempt to fix it!!!!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 01:28 PM

If it's the XP CD that came with the laptop and it's not a Microsoft full-install CD, no you can't use it. You could try downloading the Ultimate Boot Disk for Windows. It has different tools that could help you fix the situation or at least retrieve files
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 02:15 PM

What is the make and model of your computer? Did any disks come with it?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 debbie1008

debbie1008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:46 PM

Hi! My computer is Dell Dimension 5100. It did not come with ANY cds. I really stuck here because I can't log on to do anything. The computer immediately logs me off. Has anyone experienced this? What can i do to at least get to my desktop so I can possibly perform some kind of system recovery. Thanks!

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

You can restore your computer back to it's factory condition by following the instructions here.

Warning: This will wipe all your personal data.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 debbie1008

debbie1008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:57 PM

You can restore your computer back to it's factory condition by following the instructions here.

Warning: This will wipe all your personal data.

Thanks for your help! Is this the only way to fix my computer? What do you mean by personal data? Emails, business forms etc? I'm not computer savvy.

Debbie

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:07 PM

Well...you could always try resetting the BIOS/CMOS settings...by removing the CMOS battery.

It doesn't seem from your posts that you would be familiar with such.

Louis

#11 debbie1008

debbie1008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:17 PM

Well...you could always try resetting the BIOS/CMOS settings...by removing the CMOS battery.

It doesn't seem from your posts that you would be familiar with such.

Louis

Hi Louis,

Is that hard to do? Would I still retain my personal data?

Thanks in advance for your help too!
Debbie

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

It's not what I would call "hard", it's just that some users don't like to remove the covers and actually touch system components.

Here's a link:

CMOS Battery. - http://www.geocities.com/micksmix2000/cmosbatt.html

http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_password.htm Skip down to section Forcing the BIOS-CMOS To Be Reset.

Of course, there is no guarantee that any of this will work.

Louis

#13 mar5hy

mar5hy

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:47 AM

*Dell Dimension 5100

If you ring Dell, they will send you out replacement CDs - they should of been including when you purchased your computer.
Brighton, UK

#14 debbie1008

debbie1008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

I definately know it is some kind of virus. I've ordered the operating system cd from Dell and I guess I'm going to have to do a reintall!!??? Has anyone used PC Doctor virus/spyware system. It seemed to do a great job of removing all the mess on my pc but when it needed to restart for fix to be complete, that's when I starting experiencing the logon/logoff loop.
This really really sucks! :thumbsup:

Edited by debbie1008, 17 December 2007 - 07:53 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

If you know that you have a malware problem...you should first try to remove it, using a tried, known, respected method.

There are online scans available from reliable sources, I've not heard of or tried this PC Doctor software, so I have no feeling at all about it. I will only say that the ads/data that I've seen for PC Doctor indicate that it's one of the "we fix everything" programs that so many users tend to rush to.

Can you provide a link to whatever you used for your self-assessed malware problem? It might save some potential grief for other users or it may be a useful link for other users.

My suggestion would be to check at a forum like this before ever trying an unknown application which purports to cure something (which may be cured without that particular application).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users