Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Power Down My Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:19 AM

I can't seem to figure out how to perform this operation, so I'm coming here for help.

I was told that I could go to control panel, then power options, then somehow command my hard drive to power down after so many minutes of inactivity. All I would have to do is tap a key or wiggle my mouse to get it back up + running. This is supposed to be less stressful on my hard drive as it's on 24/7.

Right now my power scheme is always on, monitor is always on+hard disks is always on. I'm assuming hard dddisssks is the same as hard drive?

I do have a standby button on my keyboard. What is the difference between standby mode versus doing something different with the power options in my control panel? I did try the standby button last night + the power button on my CPU flashed for a while, then went back to its solid color as it is when I'm working on my system.

Looking forward to some good input here as always.

Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:00 PM

The following is an excerpt from this article.

"Quick: What's the difference between putting your PC in Hibernate or Standby mode? Yeah, we weren't sure either. Luckily the Productivity Portfolio weblog schools us on the finer details of Windows XP power schemes. Using Standby:

Your machine recovers quickly as your data is stored in RAM. The slower part is waking up the peripherals. Although your machine is in "standby" the power has been cut to items such as your hard drive and monitor. You're running your machine in a very low power mode, but it is still on. This mode can be useful if you're on a notebook and need to conserve your battery while you step away.

With Hibernate:

The big difference is that your PC has shut down and is not pulling power. Another difference is that your data is saved to your hard disk and not RAM. This makes it a safer, but slower option for shut down and resume.

Not all PCs have the capability and are configured to Hibernate. If yours is, to see the Hibernate option on your XP shutdown screen, hold down the Shift key when you shut down."

To enable hibernate go to the Control> Power Opttions> Click on the Hibernate tab and enable hibernate.

To enable sleep mode right click on your desktop> click Properties> click on the Screensaver Tab> in the Monitor Power section click Power> when that window opens up, click the Power schemes tab . Under the section "Settings for Home/Office desk power schemes," change the setting for your monitor to turn off after ____ minutes. Under the section "Settings for Home/Office desk power schemes," change the setting for your monitor to turn off after ____ minutes. (Recommended time is 5 minutes). This means that if there is no activity on your computer for more than 5 minutes, the monitor will go into "sleep mode." As soon as you touch your keyboard or mouse, it will reactivate again.

http://www.resourceconservation.mb.ca/wrw/...s/computer.html

Edited by dc3, 16 December 2007 - 12:21 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:01 PM

It appears to me that hibernate is the safest method to allow my system to rest, power down the hard drive.

I'm going out on a limb here, but how exactly does one get their system out of hibernate again? I read the article along with a lot of the posts + it seems to be a matter of personal preference(or the quirks of the computer).

What is the big deal of saving data to the hard disk versus RAM?

I have just purchased an external hard drive but haven't set it up yet. When I do get it set up, will this make a difference as to which drive gets powered down?

Thanks
honu1

#4 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:15 PM

How about this, right click on the desktop>properties>screen saver. Click on the power tab under Monitor Power. Select turn off hard disks.
X

#5 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:07 PM

Rather than going thru a lot of manual steps to get to hibernate mode, can't I just perform the following?
Go into my power options + select "turn off hard disks" after so many minutes? I believe in order for me to wake up my system again all I have to do is press the power button, correct?

Now, the next train of thought .....is the hibernate method any less stressful for my hard drive than the regular power off, then on again? I'm not going to attempt anything until I get more feedback,please.

Thank you
honu1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users