Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Faulty Ram?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drazia

drazia

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:09 AM

Hey, I own an Acer T180 which comes with 1gb of RAM.
However, when i run Dxdiag it shows "768mb" of RAM? I found this very strange as RAM doesnt even come in these numerals.
Checked inside - both sticks are in fine.

Now recently i bought 2gb of kingston value RAM thinking it was probably just the original RAM being faulty, but when i installed the 2gb (x2 1gb sticks) next to the original RAM, it said i only had 1700 RAM (Figure not accurate, i forgot :thumbsup: ). I fiddled around with the position of the RAM for a while and it became apparent that the 2gb and the original 1gb would not work together.

The best result i got was putting the the new 2gb sticks in the original RAM slot which gives me 1792MB RAM. I added the two original sticks and it stayed the same.

I have tried them in a multitude of positions including - 512, 512, 1gb, 1gb -- 1gb, 512, 1gb, 512 -- 1gb, 1gb, 512, 512 (Current positioning).

So does anybody have any idea what the problem could be?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:50 AM

your system is sharing 256 megs for video

the math is simple, no matter what ram you use you should be short 256 megs(give or take a couple)

be careful you don't break something with all the changes

now some systems dynamically share ram(the amount varies) but yours must be set to 256 in bios?

Edited by DaChew, 16 December 2007 - 09:51 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:37 PM

FWIW: The shared RAM amount can be changed in the BIOS. I believe that mine is 32MB, maybe 64 (I have more than enough memory).

Louis

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

If you don't want it to use any of your RAM for video memory, then you need to use a graphics card, which personnally I think is better because I have 512Mb and I noticed even with 64Mb RAM missing out of 512Mb it goes slower.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:39 PM

Dont forget about the shared on board sound card too!
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users