Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Star

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 weaverdr81

weaverdr81

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:56 AM

I've been working on a computer that has a problem with something called Blue Star. Thus far it hasn't done anything damaging, but it has added Blue Star to my task bar as well as messing with my web browser adding extra .com, .net, .org, ect. at random making it almost impossible to get any work done. I tried to research this problem and have come up with nothing. Hopefully I can get something done through here as you have been exceptionally helpeful in the past. I do not have access to use HJT, so if there is a way to deal with it without that I would love to know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:49 PM

No, this is not a virus, its Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications.
Even though you paid for your computer, the company that sold it to you may have installed an illegal copy. Or if you installed it yourself, you may have unknowingly purchase a pirated copy.

To learn more about WGA, visit the following sites:

Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Privacy Statement

Genuine Microsoft Software Frequently Asked Questions
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 loai utaibi Q8

loai utaibi Q8

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:20 PM

Infact Blue Star is a virus, It creates these files :
C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\Scvhost.exe & New.exe on root for all drives.
For removal i used NOD32 Antivirus Trial Version, the virus was detected & removed as (probably unknown NewHeur_PE virus)
But for removing Blue Star from the taskbar you should download TweakUI
then from it's menu expand internet explorer option then choose (Toolbar Background) & remove the two checked boxes.
Now you're all done :thumbsup:

Edited by loai utaibi Q8, 07 August 2008 - 12:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users