Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator Accounts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 4InTheMorning

4InTheMorning

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:25 AM

From a fresh install of window xp, you are required to create an account, that is automatically an administrator acoount. When you look in the permisions dialog box it shows there are 4 account permisions.

1. How do i make it so there is only 1 administrator account (mine)?

2. Do i still need 'USER' account permisions if im the only user?

3. What is the 'SYSTEM' permision account for?

4. Do i need more than 1 Account?

Basically i want to understanding the registries and how security threats are allowed to make changes, givin they have no permisions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:16 AM

What "permissions dialog box" are you looking in?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 4InTheMorning

4InTheMorning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:47 AM

i am viewing the permisions from the regedit cmd

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:23 PM

I'll try to answer some of your questions:

1. Go Start > Control Panel > User Accounts and change any other accounts so that they do not have Administrator rights, or simply delete all the other accounts. There will always be the "Administrator" account that can be accessed in Safe Mode - this account cannot be deleted.

2. Probably not, but these will always be there for the situation when you want to create a new user account.

3. Not entirely sure, but I believe these are for system functions such as Automatic Updates.

4. You only really need two accounts: (1) Your account; and (2) the Safe Mode account. Some people find it convenient to have more accounts - especially if more than one person is using the computer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:51 PM

If you don't have the System permissions - your system won't run properly. It's needed for special operations on the computer that require a different level of permissions than Users or Administrators.

As for the Users permissions - you technically don't need them, but many programs write with them in mind - so deleting that may make things not work on the system.

Do you need more than 1 account? Yes, absolutely!!! Should your account become corrupted you'll need another Administrator level account to get in and recover things. In general, you'll have an Adminstrator account and your account (which has administrator priveleges). Most times you won't even see the Administrator account unless you're logging into Safe Mode.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users