Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

New Tech Looking For Advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GeoGoGo

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:06 AM

Hi All,

I have been a break fix tech for 8 years. I have recently been hired as a PC tech at a local consulting service. My previous experience was pretty much replace parts to solve pre-diagnosed problems so my troubleshooting skills are fairly limited. I have gone from replacing this motherboard because the laptop will not boot to being handed a laptop with a work order that says will not boot.

I am in a little over my head so far in my first week and I was hoping that someone could recommend some diagnostic utilities that I could download. Anything that will help me with diagnosing will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for any help you folks can provide me with and have a great night.

George D.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,165 posts
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 02:28 AM

I started to answer this twice now and both times come to the conclusion that there is just too much information to try to impart here. If you are serious about doing this type of work I would suggest that you check out you local community college for classes in computer repair, you will learn most of what you will need to get you going in the right direction.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rigacci

• Members
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:07 AM

There are a few basic tools you should have as a tech. Power supply testers are handy, a multi-meter of some kind and some hand tools.

As far as software, I would agree with dc3. There are tons of useful tools out there.

For a start, I would download a self-booting memory tester, like Memtest86, available at memtest86.com. This is a self-booting disc that will determine if your memory is good or bad.

ERD Commander, by Winternals, is an excellent program for recovering from system failures or to reset an administrator password. I can't tell you how many times this has saved a system. (costs $$$ though)

A program to write 0's to a hard drive is handy, in case you need to verify that all data has been "deleted".

Then there are the Spyware, AV or other programs for combating malware and spyware.

I have a flash drive that carries all of my tools. Make a backup, just in case!

Good luck collecting tools. Most people tend to collect a personal list of their favorite tools. Google for what you need or the problem you are having and you would be surprised what you find.

#4 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:08 PM

My first suggestion is to use the built in Windows tools for the majority of your troubleshooting:

If you're not able to boot into Windows, then some DOS utilities would be good to have. Things like several different bootable hard drive diagnostics, a bootable memory tester, etc

The thing to remember here is that you're working for a business - so the normal freeware that we recommend here probably won't be legal for you to use at work. Lot's of folks do use the freeware for work - but you'll suffer the consequences if you're caught at it. Be careful what you use and read the EULA's thoroughly before making money off a freeware utility.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:38 PM

thank you usasma - been meaning to get those...

ok - i work in a pc shop in bris, aust...so ill do my best :thumbsup:

literally - 80gb of misc utilities is so handy its not funny

here is what is roughly in my cd wallet

hirens 7.5
nortons ghost w/usb drivers - cd ---or equivelant, is a absolute must
nortons ghost w/usb drivers - 2 floppies
seatools DOS
seatools gui
911 rescue cd
ubcd4win (build one every month or so, so a few get round)
windows memory test

realistically, you will use memtest,ghost,ubcd,hirens(has all manufacture HDD testing software on it) the most. ubcd pretty much has everythihng else you want on it...

xp 9-in-1
xp pro
xp pro sp1a
xp pro sp2
xp pro sp2c
xp pro vlk
xp pro vlk sp2
win 95
win 98se
win me
NT4 workstation..
nt4 server
win 2k adv. server
xp pro sp2 wga-kit
redhat 8
win 2k
win2k sp4
vista rc1
2k3 server
office 03 "full"
office 03 corp.
ubuntu fiesty x86&x64
ubuntu gutsy x86%x64
all office 07 pre-install cd's

then yeah you get the idea.

hardware that i have:

this electronic psu tester thing, tells u all voltages and beeps n shiz when they arent good(extremely handy)

2.5" -> 3.5inch hdd converter

ide/sata -> usb converter

obviously screwdriver set etc, lotsa zippy ties, a flashlight, keep any anti-static bags you come across and yeah?

if you are going to stay in the industrie a while, get your hands on as many copies of OS's as possible....you wouldnt beelive how much you will use them, oddly enough. and just search the net and keep adding stuff to your caddy - esp. things that are office related (pst recovery for eg.),pwd related(ubcd is good for resetting misc. users, then things such as mailpassview etc.) and yeah? have fun and learn lots in the process, and dont rush things! thats how you get jobs back with the same problem...

ne ways, hav fun n goodluck =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users