Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot Up, And Is Making Siren Sound (dee-doo-dee-doo)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pentalarc

pentalarc

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 10:36 PM

I was redirected to this forum from the "am I infected?" forum.

Short version, my computer, which I have been having problems with, has gotten worse. It will not boot up, and makes a sound like a police siren when I try to start it up. (dee-doo-dee-doo)

This started while I was having a problem of my computer running out of disk space very rapidly

Here are my posts about the problem(s), with what in the responses caused me to write them:

Y'all recently helped me get rid of a kav0 infection, but now my computer is acting even more strangely. Basically, I'm getting messages every few minutes that I'm about to run out of disk space. I delete stuff, move stuff to my other hard drive, etc. but nothing seems to help, the space fills back up almost immediately.

I haven't done any risking surfing, so I think it was something that might have been lying dormant, or I just didn't notice until the damage was done, and it has to be something that survived the programs I ran to get rid of kav0. The only unusual internet activity recently was researching types of marble. . .not exactly high-risk surfing.

I'm running Win XP Pro

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

[asked for more details]

Yeah, sorry.

It's the standard system messages on the tool bar. Hard drive icon with a word bubble over it saying along the lines of "You are running very low on space on drive c:. Click here to remove old or unneeded files to free up more space."

Whenever I free up space, it fills right back up, and I get the same message, every few minutes.

I don't think that the message itself is anything having to do with virus/malware, etc, but I think that the effect has to be.

I've run a chkdsk /f and things are working a little better right now, the computer is certainly running faster. I can't seem to defrag the drive, even in safe mode. AVG can't find anything, and AdAware locks up when I run it. (checks C: fine, though, it locks up while checking D:, which is my bigger, storage drive.

I haven't run the others yet, right now, I'm trying to uninstall some of the stuff that autoruns when I start the computer, just in case it's a RAM problem. (Which I was told it might be, I run out of RAM, the computer starts using the hard drive, and the files get stuck there.)

[asked about virtual memory, restore points, and programs]

I don't use IE, I use FireFox.

I have not started using an email client

384 MB Virtual Memory
4578 MB restore points (currently suspended)

[someone suggested that it was "computer cancer"]

Well, how can it be "diagnosed," then? And is it a virus or a malfunction?

I'm going to be replacing large parts of this computer soon, with parts cannibalized from a computer someone is sending me. If the OS is workable and there's another room to temporarily store everything on that particular drive, I'll reformat, but I don't want to spread it, so to speak, if it works that way.

And I'd still like to figure out if that is it, so that if it's something else, I can get rid of it beforehand.

[then the update that sent me to this sub-forum]

Update:

My computer will now not boot up. When I try to turn it on, it makes a "dee-doo-dee-doo" sound like a police siren.

1) What does this mean?

2) If I try to turn on the computer, will it damage the info on my hard drives?

3) If I succeed in turning on the computer, will it damage the info on my hard drives?

Is there anything that can be done here?

My first priority is preserving the data on my hard drives. I'm going to rip the computer apart and replace parts with parts from a junk computer I'm getting through the mail to cannibalize, so as long as the data on the hard drive is preserved, I'd just like to be able to use the computer to some degree until then.

Thanks in advance for your time and help,

Pentalarc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:12 AM

Your best option to preserve data on the drive (assuming the drive is still readable) is to remove it and fit it as a second drive to a working Windows PC. Copy any stuff you don't want to lose (eg in 'My Documents) to CDs or DVDs or to a USB flash drive.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:46 AM

I'm inclined to think it's bad RAM also, but it sounds like you can't even run it for memtest. Try removing all the RAM modules but one and try one at a time. How clean are your fans and heatsink and is the heatsink firmly attached?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 pentalarc

pentalarc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

I'm inclined to think it's bad RAM also, but it sounds like you can't even run it for memtest. Try removing all the RAM modules but one and try one at a time. How clean are your fans and heatsink and is the heatsink firmly attached?
Mark

Fan and heatsink seem fine as best I can tell. They were running just fine the day before. (Also, it's the biggest heat sink and fan that I could fit in the case. I had overheating problems with my computer way back when some idiot over-clocked it without my knowledge or permission. I had asked him to fix something entirely separate from that , and he overclocked my processor without telling me. Note, that was years ago, and all the damage has been fixed, that I know of.)

Bad ram could very well be it, but there is one complicating factor: This is a very old computer that has been frankensteined into a newer computer over the years. Although most of it has been upgraded/updated, it still has 72-pin RAM, so I'm not sure how easy removing it will be.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 01:17 PM

Removing it should be no problem. With you extra info you've given, overclocking/overheating it could have partially damaged it to the point where it's now causing you grief. So is the possibility of not having the EXACT type of RAM the system requires
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 pentalarc

pentalarc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

Removing it should be no problem. With you extra info you've given, overclocking/overheating it could have partially damaged it to the point where it's now causing you grief. So is the possibility of not having the EXACT type of RAM the system requires
Mark

I don't know, the overclocking happened. . .five years ago or so. Could it have taken this long to cause this particular problem. (Obviously, it burned two processors before I realized what happened, but that has been fixed for a long time. In addition to not asking me if I wanted him to overclock my computer, he didn't tell me he had done it until I had burned two processors. THen, of course, he said it wasn't his fault my computer "wasn't good enough to take it."))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users