Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video And Audio Errors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

I have a home built Windows Vista Ultimate computer that has 2 gigs of Ram, 750 gigs of hard drive space space over two drives, an Athlon 64 processor, an Nvidia 6600 video card, and Realtek AC 97 on board audio cards.

I like how the system performs but have had many errors regarding my video card. I keep getting an error message that there is a problem with the video card. Sometimes it shuts me down (blue screen) and I have to restart. In the windows error message section in the Control Panel, it says that there is a problem but that it has a fix. Says to go to Nvidia's page and download new drivers. Whenever I try, I am told that the drivers are the best drivers for the system.

I have had similar (but not as many) problems with the onboard Realtek AC97. It doesn't seem that they have ever had a proper driver for Vista.

Here is my question: Does it make any sense to get a separte audio card (possibly Creative's Audigy 5.1 surround) and disable the onboard Realtek? Is there a good chance that this would fix the problem I have been having with the audio?

In much the same line, I am beginning to think about dumping the Nvidia video card and trying maybe ATI. I have read that Nvidia has really dropped the ball with regards to video drivers for Vista. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, does my approach seem workable.

Any suggestions on video and audio cards would be greatly appreciated. I like Vista and wouldn't go back to XP but I would sure like to look into what I need to do to correct this.

Changing out the motherboard is not an option as I have an OEM System Builder's version of Vista Ultimate that is tied to this specific motherboard.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:52 PM

Hi JazzMahn, go to this link to get your audio drivers http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...etDown=false#AC
In regards to your Video drivers did you go to nVidia to get the latest driver download? or did you go to update in Device Manager? Here is the link to nVidia (32 bit version) http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_163.75.html
MCP
MSDST

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:35 AM

Hey Monty007,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've been to Nvidia site. Have the most current driver but almost daily I get a message that the video is having a problem. Says that the answer is to use updated driver offered by Nvidia. I've done all updates. Still have the problem.

Will try the new updated driver for the Realtek. I just thought maybe having a separate audio card would fix the problem.

Haven't had the problem near as much with the audio.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

How is the audio? Did the driver help? I would uninstall your nVidia driver, reboot, then reinstall it. See if that might help.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users