Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Freezes After A Couple Of Minutes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SilveradoSS

SilveradoSS

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:18 PM

I am having some issues with playing DVD's on my PC. The PC is an HP Pavilion a520n. The DVD player is listed in the Device Manager as an HP DVD Writer 400c (came preinstalled in the PC). The video will play without any problems up until around 2:00 minutes in, and then will freeze. I can click the close button in the upper right corner of the screen and the player will close immediately. No error window pops up. I can even restart the video without any after effects. The video will again play, reach the same point in the video and freeze again. There doesn't apppear to be a memory problem as I can still perform other functions while the video is frozen. Playing video from the hard drive does not have the same freezing effect.

Some background info: I had a bad virus infestation a while back and after the cleanup, was when i first noticed this problem. Here are the links to the other topics pertaining to the virus clean-up. I don't know if they could possibly be of some help or not.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/114769/infected-with-virtumonde-and-vundo/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:57 AM

Have you tried uninstalling it in the device manager and rebooting? If you do this the installation wizard will recognize it as new hardware and find the proper drivers for it.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager. Go down the list till you find DVD/CD-ROM drives and click on the box with the + in it, when you see the drive right click on it and choose uninstall. Reboot your computer and see if this helps.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 SilveradoSS

SilveradoSS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:58 AM

Uninstalled the DVD player, and reinstalled. Tried the movie again, with the same results. The movie freezes on the exact same frame of the video every time. Too weird!

Any other suggestions?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:28 AM

Does this only occur, with that one movie, or does it happen with all videos?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 SilveradoSS

SilveradoSS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:04 AM

It's happening on all of the movies that I try to play. It even does it using other media players that I have installed. The freeze occurs always on the same frame of whatever video is playing. The time of the freeze differs from movie to movie, but the point of freeze is always the same for each video.

You can click the close button on the media player after the freeze and the player shuts down instantly. The hang does not affect the operating system and system performance remains normal. I checked the performance tab in the Windows Task Manager and the neither the CPU usage nor the Page File Usage History are even breaking a sweat while this is going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users