Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No System Restore And Ie7 Dissapeared

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 blov10

blov10

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:56 PM

On Friday as usual, I ran cleanmgr to get rid of unwanted clutter. Afterwards, I tried to run Adware 2007, but it had been awhile so I had to update it. After updating, I ran a scan and removed the problems that were found. After rebooting the computer, I had an automatic update icon listed. I believe it was for the .NET framework 3.0. I downloaded it and installed it. At the same time, my Zonealarm firewall made me aware of a security upgrade available so after the 3.0 was done I downloaded the ZL update and then rebooted.

After all this I have lost my Internet Explorer Icon on my desktop. I had to find the file and create a shortcut, however, it isn't the same IE7. It looks like an old version which doesn't allow me to use tab browsing. I also have tried to run System Restore twice and keep getting the notification that my computer could not be restored to the checkpoint I selected. I have tried two different checkpoints. I also tried downloading the new IE program, which was installed berfore, but it did not work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Zen Geek

The Zen Geek

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:12 PM

I have a few questions first.

Which version of Internet Explorer does it show as being installed? (Go to Help/About Internet Explorer)

If you hit start / run , and type in iexplore.exe , does it bring up version 7?

What happens in detail when you try to install Internet Explorer 7?

#3 blov10

blov10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:54 PM

Hello,

The version was 7.0.5730.13

When I ran iexplore.exe it let me into the new IE7 asking me to choose my settings, however, there still is no icon on the desktop. The icon I made a shortcut for is the version listed above which resembles an older version.

However when I do the help and and about on the new version, it has the same number. I don't know what is going on.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:55 PM

Check Event Viewer for clues?

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Run a chkdsk on the system?

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html Follow instructions for using the graphical version (My Computer).

Louis

#5 blov10

blov10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

I guess looking I need to clarify one thing:

On the older looking version this is what is listed:

Version: 7.0.5730.13.xpsp_sp2_adr.070227-2254

Also listed for the copyright 1995-2004

The newer version only has this listed:

Version: 7.0.5730.13

Copyright 2006

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:51 PM

It's the same version.

Louis

#7 blov10

blov10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:06 PM

OK.

Why are they actually different when I run them then?

#8 blov10

blov10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

I have the new icon back on the desktop for IE7.

The greater concern is that I cannot get System Restore to work. I've tried it 3x now with no luck.

I also realize that I cannot spell correctly. It should be disappeared.

:thumbsup:

#9 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:35 PM

Did you change your Start Menu from "Classic Start Menu" to "Start Menu" because if you have the Classic Start Menu turned on the IE icon will be on your desktop, but, if you have it set on Nomral Start Menu (Start Menu) the IE icon won't be on your desktop but in the actuall start menu.

#10 blov10

blov10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:08 AM

The Icon and program totally disappeared from the Desktop and start menu. The only was I was able to locate the "newer" version was to search for the file. All I could find was the icon which said it was located in the "windows/Softwaredistribution/ folder. I do show a software distribution 3.0 that was installed on Friday, right before the problems started happening.

#11 The Zen Geek

The Zen Geek

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:47 PM

The Icon and program totally disappeared from the Desktop and start menu. The only was I was able to locate the "newer" version was to search for the file. All I could find was the icon which said it was located in the "windows/Softwaredistribution/ folder. I do show a software distribution 3.0 that was installed on Friday, right before the problems started happening.

The next thing I would do is go into your control panel / add/remove programs, and click the button which says "show windows updates". Then find any updates which might have been installed on or around the date in which these problems began, and then uninstall them, reboot, and try again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users