Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Hdd To Use For What!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TeeKay

TeeKay

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:46 PM

The query I have will have many of you experts wondering if I've ever used a computer before but it may come as a suprise to learn that I had a Sinclair ZX81 when they first came out and have had some form of computer ever since, it's just that I have just "used" them and never got round to understanding how to set them up correctly.
I have just purchased a Toshiba Satellite P200-123 laptop with amongst many other wonderful gadgets a 400GB hard disk drive (apparently made up of 2 x 200GB drives). When I look into "computer" it shows 3 hard drives (Vista (C:) 93.1GB (55.5GB free), Local disk (D:) 186GB (186GB free) and Data (F:) 91.6GB (84.4GB free), the F: drive was empty but I have already copied many of my files to it from my old computer but this is the reason for the query, have I put them in the right space, if not, what do I put where?? The part I do understand (I think!!) is that the C: and D: drive are physically one drive partitioned into two but after that I'm lost. Any mew programs that I've installed haven't been a problem as I just let the computer install them in the "recommended" folders but when I copy file such as my documents or my pictures, have I done the right thing by putting them in the F: drive. (p.s. I hope I have posted this query in the right forum, if not, I apologise in advance!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:01 PM

How are the drives attached to the computer? through an external case? As for what you put where, the only partition to shy away from storing files on is the C: partition since this is where the operating system is held that way if anything should seriously go awry with the operating system you can format that partition without loosing all of your files. If there are 2 physical drives (200 GB each) operating independently of each other then there should be 4 partitions. I only see 3 so either they arent 200GB each or they're operating in a raid format.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 TeeKay

TeeKay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 02:54 AM

The drives are all contained within the laptop case and it definitely says in the specifications that it has 400GB hard drive and then in brackets they put 2 x 200GB

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:25 AM

That laptop comes with two 200GB SATA hdds with the operating system on the C drive. From what I was able to find it looks like neither of the drives have more than the one partition so you can store information anywhere you wish.

Edited by dc3, 16 December 2007 - 04:27 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:10 AM

In hindsite I should have looked up the laptop specs. I thought the HDD and the laptop were two seperate items. Good catch DC3 :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:43 AM

the system/boot drive is partitioned into 2 parts, C and F

do the math

D is the drive not partitioned into parts
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users