Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited Or No Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joemama1960

Joemama1960

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

My work has a domain controller running server NT. The person before me on a windows XP Pro computer that had limited or no connectivity issues and had manually configed the IP, DNS etc addresses. I'm trying to put this computer back on auto aquire IP address. When I do, I have limited or no connectivity. Running ipconfig /all I have a garbage IP address. I can ipconfig /release, but when I ipconfig /renew I get a timeout cannot contact DC. I also have the same problem on 2 DL360's running win 2k pro, but only on their 2nd NIC. When I try to join the domain I get Domain Name is Invalid or does not exist. Any ideas? Thanks, Joe

Edited by Joemama1960, 15 December 2007 - 05:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 LA1

LA1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

Thisi s a work computer ? no admin guy ? First look ata the cat5 cable going into the computer. When the pc is powered up, there should be a link light on the network card, right where you plug into the card. So if you remove the cable the link light goes out,back in and the light comes back on. If not that could be whats wrong.

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

Sounds like the DHCP server may be set for IP address reservations. If so, even if you set the machine to Obtain an IP address automatically, it would not be able to connect. This is because the server that is running the DHCP service has an IP address reserved for the MAC address of the NIC card. I would contact the System / Network Administrator to inquire if DHCP reservations have been configured for that machine.

You can get the MAC address of the NIC card by running the following at the command prompt:

ipconfig /all

The MAC address will be listed as the "Physical Address". If reservations have been set, the DHCP server should be handing out a specific IP address to that machine.

Have you tried to ping that machine from another computer that is on the network?
Have you tried to ping the loopback address? (ping 127.0.0.1 OR ping loopback)

If you are unable to ping the suspect machine once it has Limited or No Connectivity, or ping out from the suspect machine, there may be an issue with the NIC card.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#4 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:39 PM

Refer to the troubleshooting steps regarding the DHCP Client service and the DNS Client service. You may need to manually kickstart the services and reset them to start automatically.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/120842/using-an-access-point/
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users