Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP update KB835732 keeps reappearing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 appleseed

appleseed

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:40 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know about how to get rid of this re-prompting? Win. Updates keeps prompting me to install the hotfix kb835732, even though its already installed. I found a thread that said to delete it from the registry, and offered a vbs file to do so. I downloaded and used this vbs file, but (of course) i'm still getting the prompts.

What do I need to do to get this fixed? I can't download any newer updates because of it.

Thanks a million!

DA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:14 PM

Go into add/remove programs. Make sure the checkbox show updates is checked and see if that update is there. If it is uninstall it

#3 appleseed

appleseed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:16 PM

okay - i did that (it was in the add/remove programs and i removed it [it did say that one hotfix and my printer - which i just added - might not work if i removed the hotfix, but i removed it anyway]) - and now it says, after i restarted my computer, that i need to reinstall it.

should i?

thx

d

#4 appleseed

appleseed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:23 PM

okay - i installed it again - rebooted - and, of course, it says i need to install it again.

so i went back into add/remove and uninstalled it - like you said.

so now what do i do when/if it says i need to reinstall it?

thx

#5 appleseed

appleseed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:41 PM

note --

okay - now i've gotten an update to install it (kb835732), but the real version (2.6 mb required to install) - usually when it wanted to keep reinstalling win.update said that it kb835732 required 0.0 mb of space.

i'm just leaving it as is until i hear back from you: uninstalled hotfix from add/remove programs.

thx

#6 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:13 PM

Was the windows update site saying you needed this update or was it the automatic download saying you needed to update?

If it was the automatic update shield that appears on your taskbar that was telling you you needed the update, try going to the windows update site and running the scan for updates there. This should bring your update log up to date (no pun intended).

I had a driver update that the automatic updater kept saying I needed to install even after installing it several times until I ran a manual check at windows update and after I did, it went away.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#7 appleseed

appleseed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:17 PM

i'd go to the actual site and it would scan and tell me i needed it. the update shield would as well, but i usually just went to the site.

at this point i don't have it installed, however, due to the previous admin's post/direction.

i'm just waiting to hear back for more specific direction at this point.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:17 PM

Are you using sp2 or sp1?

#9 appleseed

appleseed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:20 PM

i'm trying to get sp1 and/or sp2.

i just installed xp pro without the updates.

winupdate installed a bunch of updates, but not sp1 or 2 at the point where kb835732 is stalling.

i'm wondering if i should just order the disk at this point.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:22 PM

Do this first. Install SP2 by itself with none of the other updates.

#11 appleseed

appleseed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:27 PM

so should i uninstall all my hotfixes and then install sp2?

can i download sp2 without the previous hotfixes? i ask because i tried downloading sp1a when i didn't have any updates and it (win update) wouldn't let me download sp1a, it just gave a list of like 20+ hotfixes i needed.

i assumed i needed these certain updates before sp1a would be able to be downloaded and installed. and they all downloaded and installed fine except for the problem one. so i figured this one is keeping me from being able to download the service packs.

am i wrong?

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:39 PM

I would leave that problem fix off and just install sp2 right now alone. Then when thats done, install any other updates it finds.

#13 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:45 PM

I agree. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#14 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:46 PM

I would take Grinlers advice and get SP2 installed before worrying about the hotfix, SP2 will probably take care of the problem for you. You don't need to install SP1 before installing SP2, SP2 includes all the updates and hot fixes from SP1.

If the update site is not giving you option to install SP2 yet, you may download the whole thing here.

This a big download (266MB):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Oh, by the way, :thumbsup: to BC. :flowers:
There is no justice, there is just us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users