Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Ports No Longer Working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mabosh

mabosh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:09 PM

We recently connected a photo keychain device through a front USB port on a Dell Dimension 8300. When the device was unplugged, the computer immediately crashed. I was able to get it up and running, but now none of the USB ports (front or back) will work (although the mouse still does). If I plug in any devices that worked previously (scanner, IPOD, etc.), nothing happens. Our printer is also now "offline" and non-responsive. I've tried to uninstall the controllers and hubs, but with no luck. What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:57 PM

There may be a problem with windows, since you have tried reloading the USB drivers. Try rolling your computer back prior to the event. This is under the start menu, All programs,Accessories, System tools, System restore. Select restore my computer to an earlier time. If this does not work try a windows repair install Repair install tutorial. Let us know what happens.

Edit: grammer

Edited by Sneakycyber, 15 December 2007 - 04:59 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

<<I've tried to uninstall the controllers and hubs, but with no luck.>>

I guess I don't know what that means. You can uninstall the controllers via Device Manager (or you can disable them in the BIOS, if they are onboard). When XP is rebooted, it will try to auto reinstall the controllers, if it has the drivers.

If the USB controllers reinstall and devices still have difficulty working, I would suspect that the onboard USB function is shot.

Did you try a USB PCI card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

Louis

#4 mabosh

mabosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:39 PM

Thank you both for the replies. I tried the system restore, choosing the most recent point in time before the problem arose. Unfortunately, the problem persisted after the restart. After the restore, though, a series of automatic updates took place (which jogged my memory that these updates also took place a bit before we installed the photo keychain device. There were 6 updates (5 security updates for XP and Explorer, and 1 malicious software tool). Maybe there was a connection between these updates and my problem?

I am hesitant to try the windows repair install. Do I need to worry about losing any data? I am very much the novice at this.

I also have not tried installing a new USB PCI card, but they seem inexpensive so I would be willing to give that a shot to see if it helps.

When I said I uninstalled the controllers and hub, I meant that I uninstalled them through device manager (right clicking, choosing uninstall). I uninstalled all controllers and hubs (I think I have 5 of each), and the let windows find them again after. Is there a better way to do that?

When I look at device manager now, I see three items with the yellow exclamation point. One is for something called "ONSIO" under the non plug and play entry. The message for that says "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)"

The other two are under the SCSI and RAID Controllers entry. Both items under that entry have the yellow exclamation point. One is Microtek SimpleSCSI Miniport Drivers, where the message says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

The other is for the SCSI/RAID Host Controller, where the message says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I have no clue what these items do, or what those messages do, so hopefully they mean something to someone else!

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to read through this. I truly do appreciate any and all help coming my way!

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

On the back of your computer there is a service ID tag (white sticker with numbers and a bar code on it) Go to the Dell Support site and download all the drivers for your computer. Reinstall the drivers so there are no yellow exclamation points in the Device manager. If you have trouble locating the drivers for hardware that is not supported at the dell website you can use Unknown Device Identifier. After all the drivers are re-installed we can go from there. You made the right selection uninstalling the USB. We now have to get all the drivers installed to make sure its not a driver issue.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users