Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Toolbar 5 Beta

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

I am considering installing the latest version of Google Toolbar. The version 5 BETA seems to have a number of functions that would be particularly usefill to me, most importantly the in-line search and the online bookmarks features. I know it is generally quite a popular program with good reviews but I was wondering if anyone here is using this or previous versions of it and if so how are you finding it in comparison to all the other similar programs out there?

Also I am interested in the Autofill function that comes along with the software. I enter a fair amount of competitions and try to score freebies wherever possible so I'm often filling out general details like my name, age and address. I was wondering how safe it is to use a form-filling feature to do this. Obviously if you use it the program will store your details somewhere; is it possible for someone else to get a hold of it. I'm generally quite safe online and regularly use protection from malware (to the degree of any average user of this forum probably does) so how safe would it be?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by benny269, 15 December 2007 - 01:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:50 PM

My only comment on BETA is to expect some quirks. Whenever I try something not released and still in the BETA stage is to put it on an old machine I have that I don't care if I end up reformatting it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:00 PM

Why not wait a couple of weeks then do a Google search on problems or reviews on this new toolbar and see what others think of it unless you want to take a gamble on it messing up your computer.
Of course a reinstall of Windows will cure any problems it may give you.
X

#4 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

I have considered the risks of using Beta stage software and its not a problem to try it out. I'm more interested in the security of the autofill feature. Even generically concerning similar programs or standalone form-filling software, how safe is it to store your details within them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users