Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

explorer can't see CD files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brarko

brarko

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:43 AM

My OS: Windows XP pro

I have 3 CD drives (DVD-RAM, CD-ROM, DVD-RW)
All are recognised and appear in Device Manager.
I can see the drives in My Computer as D: E: and F:
I can burn CD and DVD disks without problem
When I insert a Cd or DVD windows explorer acknowledges the disk is in the drive by showing the size of the disk (and even displaying the icon for the software which is on the cd in some cases) but will not explore the disk. Upon clicking the drive icon a window opens but it is blank.

Isobuster can extract files from disks in the drives.
Nero sees the drives
Alcohol 120% sees the drives

Could it be something to do with desktop.ini for the drives, or perhaps the registry instruction for viewing files on disk drives ???

Any suggestions or help appreciated

Thanks

brarko

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Futs

Futs

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:05 AM

My guess would be frimware.
Although it is strange that all three are doing this with the same disc, or 2 on dvd.
What make are they? I know we had some simmilar problems with the Samsung cd/dvd writers
Posted Image

#3 brarko

brarko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:47 PM

Firmware is up to date on all CD & DVD drives. The problem occurs with any disk insterted. Drives are Asus, LG and Samsung.
I have actually removed the drives and they function perfectly i n another computer. Must be in the seetings for viewing CD/DVD drives somewhere in the registry, to do with how the explorer windows deals with these devices to open a window and show files. Sytem restore didn't help (although nothing has changed for a very long time).
I m almost positive this relates to a windows setting somewhere - but where !! Desktop.ini or something similar I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users