Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To Partition Or Not...?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rich bevan

rich bevan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:32 PM

Hi all....
Just bought a Vaio Laptop...Should I partition or not, it is on Vista...?
Already have an HP Pavilion PC which is partitioned...no one can give me a straight answer!
I presume a partition will slow down the laptop, but as it will not be able to handle the most recent games I do not feel it is too much of a problem anyway..However for crashes and so forth it makes sense to have a partition...I mean what is the sensible thing to do...before I start loading the laptop??
Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:43 PM

I estimate what my operating system and core programs will need and then add about 10 gigs to that and make it my system partition, and put the rest in a data partition. The system partition gets regular maintenance, cleaned up and defragged every few weeks, only takes a few minutes for defrag and I am not thrashing the hard drive to death defragging data. If windows ever crashes hard, my data is safe and I reinstall. If you had larger game images they could go with the data. Leaving 10 gigs allows room for dvd video work, temp files etc.
This is really a no-brainer, the argument for a single large partition has no real advantages.

durn it's hard to reply to a post being moved
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users