Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Registration

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wenasoga

wenasoga

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:30 AM

I am having to build a new computer. I am wondering if I'll have to buy a new copy of XP. The only thing I can salvage from my old machine is the hard drive and the floppy drive. I've only been running XP less than a year and my old MB died. Trouble is, it was a socket 370 and is out of date, hence the need for new mb, processor, ram, etc. Thanks.......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:48 AM

Well, I think I would try getting the current version approved, even with the motherboard change.

I successfully did so, after I sabotaged a motherboard...but my replacement board was pretty much like the one it replaced (I don't know if that was a factor). I had to do the phone routine, but the person I talked was pleasant, understanding, and the whole deal was done in a matter of seconds.

Not sure what hardware is encoded into the ID which is provided when activation occurs, but I think I would at least try it.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:54 AM

Just contact Microsoft and explain just what you have here and you shouldn't have any problems. You should be prepared to reinstall the OS as the change of motherboard will cause problems when you try to restart XP.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 wenasoga

wenasoga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:01 PM

Thanks, It's worth a shot. Used to run Linux on the old machine.
Luis, I guess you were right....the old mb must be shot.....I had it working for a day or two, then it went back to it's old tricks. I noticed a couple of caps seem to be swollen/bad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users