Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Or Xp

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Which OS do you prefer, Vista or XP? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Which OS do you prefer, Vista or XP?

1. Vista (3 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. XP (9 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:34 AM

Hey guys, just a poll on which OS you would pick out of Vista and XP. I have had many different answers from many friends, each with some very valid reasons on why, and I woudl like to know which one you guys prefer. Some might pick Vista because of it's GUI compared to XP or mabye you prefer XP because of its compatibility and its such a reliable system compared to Vista? The choice is yours!

Edited by Grinler, 02 June 2010 - 11:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:06 AM

Vista because it's a more robust OS - with increased security, reliability, intelligence, and troubleshooting tools.

On the down side, it's a resource hog, has strict software and hardware limitations, still has some bugs to be worked out (so does XP), and you've gotta get used to a new way of doing things. A determined user can make some adjustments for these drawbacks - but not everyone likes to fiddle with an OS as much as I do.

I switched to Vista simply because it was new - and I enjoy playing with the latest technology.

The first question I ask when someone wants to upgrade to Vista is "Why?". It's not necessary to upgrade just because Vista is new - the old stuff (XP) still works quite well for most everyone. Then I discuss the requirements for Vista. Not just the new system, but the software and hardware that they like to use now. Is it Vista compatible? Can you use your old printer with it? Can you play your favorite old game on it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:07 AM

I have been using XP for almost 5 years, first in a dual boot with 98, after sp2 came out and I slipstreamed sp2 into my cab files I really started to enjoy the OS. Getting a good load with your bios configuration/drivers/software is critical, it took a couple of years learning how to maintain and tweak it.

There was a lot of hype from MS about the eye and ear candy of XP vs win98, I quickly learned to turn it off and use the classic interface, turning a toy into a tool. In my opinion Vista just continued and escalated that trend. After beta testing win 2003 server and finding out it installed right out of the box the same way I tweaked XP I had no second thoughts or regrets.

Basically I guess I am too old and lazy to try to tweak/optimize Vista to run at the same performance level I am getting from XP, if that is even possible, which I doubt seriously. I have never seen so many people downgrade their OS since vista came out. You have to go back to Windows ME to see something similar.

The "smoke and mirrors" talk about vista's superfetch? and using a usb drive as a ramdrive to supplement virtual memory don't lend any credibility to the argument about vista's superiority.

Rant off

Edited by DaChew, 15 December 2007 - 09:17 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:50 AM

Well...I like to try new things, since that's the nature of computing ever since I bought my first computer in 1996...lots of changes and I think most of them were for the better.

But with the Vista/XP thing, I tend to fall back to the same approach I take with drivers and BIOS updates...if the system is working well, what do I have to gain by making changes to it?

In the past, O/S upgrades were pretty easy for me see (with the exception of Me) as something that would probably be beneficial. Additional security, additional features, better tools, more driver compatibility...it was simply a matter of when to upgrade, not whether to upgrade.

My situation is I like XP a great deal and feel that there is very little that Microsoft or anyone else can do to improve its value for me. I don't mind taking care of XP any more than I mind seeing that my car has oil, lube, antifreeze, proper air pressure in the tires...all those updates that some like to rant about don't strike me as overly taxing and they do strike me as beneficial to users who care about system security and efficient/proper functioning.

So, for me, there is no selling point for Vista...other than the fact that it's untried, untested, unknown by me and (at some point) I will want to at least become familiar with it, since many Windows users of the near future...will be using it, rather than XP.

Since I tend to like participating in forums like this, trying to be helpful while I learn from others, sooner or later Vista must appear on one of my desktops. When that will be...I cannot say today.

As for voting for one or the other...seems foolish to vote on such, since I don't think it's an either/or situation, just a timing decision.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 December 2007 - 09:51 AM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:55 AM

XP for now. I supposed when I build a new rig I get VISTA, but I'm in no hurry. I'm also trying different Linux distros right now
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:57 AM

For those of us who spend a lot of time here, the ability to have several different OS's at hand is essential. I'd suggest running it in a Virtual Machine for flexibility (and a standardized test environment). I've heard good things about the VMWare player, and about something called Virtual Box - but I use Virtual PC 2007 for my stuff on Vista.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:05 PM

Yes, very different and valid reasons just like I said! I think that I would go for XP (Which is the OS I am currently using) because it is compatible with basically most, if not all of the programs and I am used to its features. Vista is also a memory hog aswell because my PC isn't the best when it comes to performance wise but its good enough for XP, however I highly doubt it would even run XP Basic edition(I did the Vista check on teh MS Website to see if your PC is good enough for it) .But, eventually I will be upgrading my OS from XP to Vista, but since that won't be for a very long time I'm sure most of the bugs would be fixed by then (even if there are a few remaining).

Edited by Grinler, 02 June 2010 - 11:59 AM.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:42 PM

Most of my customers are elderly retired folk. All they want to do is email their kids, look things up on the net and play a game or two. Thats about it. They cannot afford to upgrade their systems every few years.

Quite frankly, they dont know, and dont care, what version of Windows they are running.
So long as it does what they want.

I tend to be rather resistant to change . Thats what happens when you get an AARP card ya know!

I dual boot 98 & XP as some games I like wont work with XP
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:09 PM

Yeah, that would be a good alternative for elderly people who just want to use it for e-mailing their kids etc. I also heard that Dell has stopped selling computers loaded with Vista, however they give customers a choice if they still want Vista. However, Microsoft won't be selling XP to big maurfacturers like Dell and HP etc by the end of January 2008 (i'm sure this is right, but I may have miss-read it.)

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

Backwards David. Everyone is sellng Vista.
Dell is selling less and less XP systems. I thing they are clearing out their stock

I have always loved this quote by Charles Babbage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Babbage

"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Hence the term GIGO!

Edited by Eyesee, 15 December 2007 - 09:34 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#11 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

Well, eventually most people will go to Vista for one reason or another, infact it won't be long untill the new Windows OS comes out and when it does It will be like Vista all over again, bugs and unreliability aswell as being a giant resource hog and having more eye candy which probably isn't needed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users