Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shlwapi.dll Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1976MKIV

1976MKIV

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:09 AM

To start off, my computer is running Windows XP Home Edition. It did have all current microsoft security updates.

I use AVG free edition for virus protection. It was missing a file so I re downloaded it. I uninstalled the one on my computer and it said it would have to restart. I chose not to restart right away. MSN chat kept coming up on log in so I went into msconfig and turned it off. That also said I needed to restart for the changes to take effect. Before I restarted I opened up my computer/ programs and saw some files I wasnt familiar with. I googled them and discovered that everytime I logged on MSN chat put them there? So I deleted them. I think I deleted something important though.
When I restarted my computer the screen came up black and said: NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart. I tried a the steps on this web page http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm...drmissingxp.htm. I followed everything before and including step 10.
After doing that, this message came up while trying to boot up: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. So I followed the advice on this website: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3546. I performed the steps under the heading Hard Way. I was finally able to log in.
I then clicked on the internet explorer icon and this popped up: the procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll. I use a Linksys Wireless G router and the wireless G cards in my computers. I checked my IP address under network connections and none of my info for my static IP address was there any more, so I put it all back in. I still got the error message. My network monitor says I'm connected to the router but the internet cannot be found. My second computer can still connect. So I figured it had something to do with the error.
I searched around a bit and found this from microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162. I followed these instructions up to step 5. According to step 5 I need to remove Windows XP Hotfix KB834707. Unfortunately that is not in the programs list. Also step 8 wants me to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2. That is not in the program list either. I'm assuming that I'm getting the message because the correct updates are not installed? Of course I cant update the system since I cant get on the internet. So at this point I'm at a loss.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:22 PM

Is my recap correct?
You solved the first 2 issues and now you can not get on the internet?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 1976MKIV

1976MKIV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:54 PM

Yes that's correct. I solved the "NTLDR is missing" issue and the corrupt "\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM". The problem I'm working on now is the "The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll" issue. This error comes up when I click on internet explorer or the update windows icon in the lower right corner of the taskbar.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:59 PM

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:Ct0tm...;cd=1&gl=us

I think the comments by DMR might be noteworthy.

Louis

#5 1976MKIV

1976MKIV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:31 AM

Is this the comment you are referring to?: If you're lucky, it may only be your shlwapi.dll file that's corrupt. If so, it can be replaced, but you're going to need to find/get a proper/correct version of that file somehow and copy it into your C:\windows\system32 folder.

If it is, where do I find the proper/correct version and how do I get it into my system?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:43 AM

You can download it from here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users