Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Hot Fixes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jasonh1818

Jasonh1818

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:43 PM

I have a dell computer. it has a 2.40GHz Intel processing chip and 1GB of ram. That is I have 2 512mb sticks of ram. Both I bought at the same time and installed at once. It is still however running slow. I already did a disk cleanup, disk degframent, and disk check. it is still however slow. I have noticed though that I have 15 hotfixes installed on my computer. the most recent one that was installed was installed on 6/4/2006. I heard that you are suppose to uninstall them. I however am not sure so I am wondering should I uninstall them or not? I already am using the PC Pitstop Optimize program v1.5.10.8.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:32 AM

The hot fixes are update for the operating system and are usually security related, you shouldn't delete these.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:16 AM

Try this link to troubleshoot the slowness of the system: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:08 AM

I heard that you are suppose to uninstall them.

You might be thinking of this. The hotfixes are not uninstalled. But the backup files for uninstalling are removed.

Removes Hotfix Backup files and the Add/Remove Programs Registry entries.
2003 - Doug Knox
Version 2.1.6 - 05/29/2004

When you install updates from Windows Update, backup folders are created for the files that were replaced during the update. These are created so that you can easily uninstall a particular Hotfix, if it causes problems with your system. If your system is running stable and you don't need to uninstall the hotfixes, then you can safely remove the backup files to free up disk space.

This utility will locate the Hotfixes that have created backup files on your system, and will remove those backups. It will also removes the associated Registry entries for these items in Add/Remove Programs.

NOTE: This utility does NOT remove application specific hotfix backups (Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Media player and etc.). It will only remove hotfix backups that are specific to the Windows XP operating system.

Additionally, you may not notice an immediate recovery of disk space. This is because the backup files are protected by System Restore. When they are deleted, System Restore places a copy in the most recent, or a new, restore point. As older restore points are flushed out, and new ones created, you'll see the space gain.

This is a one-way operation. If you remove the Hotfix backup files and the Registry entries, it cannot be undone, unless you back up these items manually.

Usage: Download the xp_remove_hotfix_backup.zip file and save it to your hard drive. Double-click the xp_remove_hotfix_backup.zip file and extract the EXE file inside to your hard drive. Double click xp_remove_hotfix_backup.exe to run the program.

The licensed version allows for selective deletion of Hotfix files and Registry entries.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

I've used this before to remove old uninstalls and have experienced no problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users