Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And Press Enter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 peekaboo

peekaboo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:23 PM

Hey guys i would like to have help with this windows message: disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

I have went into the Bios and next hard drive it says none....does anyone have any idea on what i can do?

Thank you very much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:39 PM

If your system is a desktop, take the side off the case and check the connections to the hard disk, and the connection from the disk to the motherboard. It's amazing how often the connections come loose.

Another possibility-the cables need to be replaced.

It's also possible that your hard drive has died and needs to be replaced.

In BIOS, is it set to automatically detect the hard drive? If not, change it to auto. Make sure to save the change.
While in BIOS, check the boot order. There are two schools of thought here-set your cd drive as first boot device, the hard drive as second. The theory is that you'll be able to boot from a cd if the need arises. The other side says to set your hard drive as the first boot device.

The CMOS battery on the motherboard may need to be replaced. Weird things can happen when the battery dies. And this is the cheapest thing to replace-it's worth a shot.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 December 2007 - 10:51 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 10:36 AM

In addition to previous advice/suggestions, see http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000387.htm

Louis

#4 The Zen Geek

The Zen Geek

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:22 PM

Just to eliminate the obvious, there is no floppy disk in or USB removable drive in is there?

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:57 PM

Good call Zen. Sometimes we all miss the obvious

Listen to the system closely. Is it making a rhythmic clicking noise like a clock?
Click, click, click type of thing

If the BIOS doesnt see the drive I would recommend replacing it
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 peekaboo

peekaboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:56 PM

thanks guys for your suggestions.....I hear a clicking sound more like a clock when it tries to boot...what exactly does that mean? I also switched to a hard drive that i knew was working and now that one is has the same error as the previous hard drive.....Can some one plz help me.

#7 Manshead

Manshead

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:04 AM

Are the jumpers set to Master on the Hard drive.There should be a diagram on the top of the drive to show the different settings. Also as suggested if the cmos battery is dead this will cause strange problems.
Handle every situation like a real man.
If you cant eat it or drink it.
Walk Away, it Aint worth the hassle.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:25 AM

If both drives are just clicking and not working properly there may be a problem with the power supply or other component . First and foremost we need to know what kind of computer we're working with here. We need make and model if pre-built including the Dell service tag if its a dell. If its a custom model we need the make and model of the motherboard, Graphics adapter (onboard or add on card), Memory, HDD manufactures (since there seems to be a problem with them). If its a custom build and you cant find the information you can use SIW. Once you find out what manufacture the HDD is you can use a utility provided by the manufactures to test the HDD Western Digital, Segate/Maxtor.

Edit: the clicking noise Eyesee is referring too is AKA the Click of death which is usually the read/write head slamming into something.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 16 December 2007 - 09:26 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 The Zen Geek

The Zen Geek

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 03:44 PM

If both drives are just clicking and not working properly there may be a problem with the power supply or other component . First and foremost we need to know what kind of computer we're working with here. We need make and model if pre-built including the Dell service tag if its a dell. If its a custom model we need the make and model of the motherboard, Graphics adapter (onboard or add on card), Memory, HDD manufactures (since there seems to be a problem with them). If its a custom build and you cant find the information you can use SIW. Once you find out what manufacture the HDD is you can use a utility provided by the manufactures to test the HDD Western Digital, Segate/Maxtor.

Edit: the clicking noise Eyesee is referring too is AKA the Click of death which is usually the read/write head slamming into something.

I agree with what you say. In my experiences, 90 percent of drives failed after that clicking sound began. If you can get it to spin up, back up your important data immediately. If available, make a complete image of your machine using Acronis True Image, or Ghost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users