Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used Computers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JR1955

JR1955

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:51 PM

In my introduction i stated that i will be looking for used computers or ones that people have messed up and dont want anymore,,,, to fix, repair,restore,upgrade or just plain put back in order for possible donation or for sale to people who cant afford a new system.
I know how to delete cookies,temp files and defrag and i know about hijackthis,Spybot S&D,AVG,Ad-Aware,Zonealarm.

What i'm looking for is a ..... What would you do first list.... any thoughts,suggestions or idea's would be a great help to me. I know there are some great techs here and i'm so glad i found this site. So... Let me know what you guys have to say :flowers:

Thanks,
jr1955 :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:49 PM

Hey there JR1955.

I too am in the habit of taking in the orphaned PC refuse of those around me, fixing them up, and then releasing them back into the wild.

I my experience, it's never enough to simply delete the cookies and check for malware. The whole system needs to be wiped. (there's a charity accross the bay from me that does this too, they actually have a degausser which is basically a powerful magnet that instantly wipes hard drives).

Of course after you wiped the drive, then what? I'm sure that just like me, you don't happen to have dozens of Windows licenses just lying about waiting to be installed on these machines. And Microsoft has taken people (and charities) to court for installing 'pirated' copies of Windows 95 on old computers (and this was in, like, 2005!).

The obvious solution is to install some flavor of Linux. Personally, I prefer to put Ubuntu on them. Some really old computers can't handle the latest and greatest version (7.10) but they just thrive under older versions (6.10 is still supported and is quite good.)

In my dealings in the past where I donated such a computer to worthy causes/people, I have never received a negative reaction to Ubuntu. Indeed, most of the people to whom these computers have gone have never been able to afford a computer and so don't have to battle against the "Windows to Linux" learning curve that others do.

All that aside, there is one other very good reason to wipe the hard drive (thoroughly): privacy.

I'm sure you know that a file is never *really* deleted, it just gets a bit harder to find. This is true even if the hard drive has been reformatted. In order to protect the people from whom you get your old computers, you need to have a solid data destruction policy in place and in practice.

I use Darik's Boot and Nuke, an excellent program that 'nukes' hard drive data. It can be downloaded from above or incorperated into the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows which includes just about every tool you'd ever need to save-or destroy-data on a hard drive and should be in every IT person's toolkit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users