Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've Lost Control Of My Computer

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 big_bopper180

big_bopper180

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:48 PM

Hey everyone,

So here's the deal, my computer has rebelled against me. About a month ago I started getting the blue screen right as windows was about to load periodically. It began to happen more and more often until about 2 weeks ago when it happened every single time. I've been busy with school and haven't had much time to work on it. I've finally gotten around to it, and as soon as I plug it into the wall, it turns on automatically (it's not supposed to) and the monitor stays blank. I've checked my connections with no luck. I am unable to turn it off or reset it with the buttons on the front panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:23 PM

This may sound like a silly question but is your moniter turned on?

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

Well, in retrospect, those first Blue Screens should have told you something worse was coming.

It is very important to write down the parameters for any Blue Screens, in order to find out what is causing it. Maybe you installed a bad driver a while ago.

Now, if it's a Dell, HP or any of those computers with a recovery disk, I would use it. If it's a "white box" (generic or home-built) computer, you would be best to reinstall everything. If you reinstall onto a new hard drive (which can be purchased at New Egg or Wal-mart), you may be able to retrieve your data from the old hard drive, with some help.

Bottom line is you waited too long and the problem is now beyond a simple fix. Probably not what you wanted to hear but I thought you should hear the truth.

Good luck.

DR

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

Well, first thing I want to know...do you have an XP CD?

If so, just try a repair install and hope for the best.

Louis

#5 big_bopper180

big_bopper180
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:03 PM

To answer a couple of questions here, yes, my monitor works and is turned on and the blue screens I was getting indicated that the problem was based on a hardware issue. Also, reinstalling any software is impossible since I can't get anything to appear on the screen.

Here is what I've found out, though. As soon as I plug in my computer it turns on. It's supposed to only turn on when I hit the power button on the front of the case, but neither power button or the reset button on the front of the case do anything anymore. The lights and fans turn on, but nothing appears on the screen. The hard drive light goes on for about one second when the computer turns on and stays off after that. If the power supply is disconnected from the motherboard, it won't turn on on its own, but if it is, the system turns on.

At this point I'm not concered with troubleshooting it, but more of what piece of hardware is causing the problem. Thanks for the help!

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:14 PM

A blue screen error (also known as the BSOD) is a notice that Windows has shut down your system in order to prevent damage to the hardware. This can be caused by software, hardware, or the drivers that the hardware uses to communicate with the software.

From your last post it seems as if something has fried your system - it could be a power surge, or it could be a result of whatever's associated with the BSOD. In order to figure it out, you'll have to locate the information for the BSOD and post the results here for us to have a look at. Here's a link to a more detailed post about locating information on the BSOD's: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

If your computer wont even get past the post screen there is a definite hardware problem. I would start by stripping the computer to the core components and see if you can get it to post (post= Power On Self Test). Remove all of the add on cards and unplug all IDE and SATA drives from the motherboard. Only leave in the CPU, Ram, and video card if its not on the mother board. See if the computer will pass the post test. Does the computer make any post beeps? Have you ever heard the post beeps before?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 big_bopper180

big_bopper180
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

I was unable to get the computer to post. I didn't hear any post beeps, and I don't recall ever having heard post beeps from this machine. It turns on, but does nothing. As far as I can tell, my system is unable to even get to the BIOS, which makes me think it's the PS.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:55 PM

What kind of system are we dealing with?
HP, Compaq, Dell home built etc

If you have any extraneous USB devicess attached such as a printer, scanner, camera etc disconnect them
They could be drawing power
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 big_bopper180

big_bopper180
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:03 PM

I built it myself about a year and a half ago. The motherboard was replaced in August, but I didn't startgetting the BSOD's until late October. There is nothing extra connected to it.

Antec TruePower 2.0 power supply
EVGA nVidia 7600GT video card
Athlon 3500 processor
BioStar GeForce 6100-M9 mobo
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card
cant remember HD manufacturer

Windows XP Home Edition

Edited by big_bopper180, 16 December 2007 - 11:04 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:49 AM

Do you have a spare PS that you can use to test?

Louis

#12 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:13 PM

Video cards are also notorious for creating Blue Screens. I updated the Intel driver on my Vista laptop and got Blue Screened. Had to roll it back.

Try any other video card, that's compatible of course. I keep an old PCI handy, just for that.

DR

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

I agree you should start with testing the power supply if you have and know how to use a Voltmeter you can check the output and see how its functioning. You can use THIS link for the pinout and the voltages. You will need to ground the green wire to any of the black wires to get the PS to turn on. Be sure to unplug the PS before pulling the 24 pin connector or touching anything inside.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#14 big_bopper180

big_bopper180
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:30 PM

Sorry about the delay, but here's the deal. I went ahead and bought a new power supply, my friend saying he'd buy it from me if that wasnt the problem. Well, it wasn't the problem. I took out my video card, sound card, and processor, and plugged the computer in. It did the same thing it usually does...nothing. So I can safely assume the problem is my motherboard, unless my RAM could somehow do this, but I doubt that's the case.

Unfortunately NewEgg and ZipZoomFly dont have any 939 socket motherboards that are in my price range/that I'm going to put my trust in. So...I cleared the CMOS and it didn't help, so I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix the motherboard I currently have, or know of another reliable site I can order a motherboard from. Thanks for the help!

Oh, and Merry Christmas in 30 minutes.

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:58 PM

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=MB-A8VVMSE&c=pw

but make sure it's your mobo, knowing biostar like I do, it might be
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users