Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc powers up by it self?!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 role2682

role2682

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:53 PM

yesterday my computer just started turning on by it self , the only thing I Changed was that i added some registry strings to turn on auto logon for winXP home.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:59 PM

Some dialer program viruses will do that. If you are using a dial up connection you would be well advised to disconnect the phone line until you rule that out.

What anti-virus do you use? Do you use Adaware or Spybot? Those two will find many dialers.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 toastrack

toastrack

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:00 PM

Could be Remote Access related....I am guessing you have set up the OS and hardware to Wake on Lan type settings that would actually turn the PC "On" should it recieve an incomming signal? If this is not entirely neccesary for you then I would turn all that stuff straight the way back off!!

If you are interested in making Windows XP a slightly safer place you can tweak the "services" and disable "Remote Access" altogether. Do a websearch for BlackVipers site where he discusses exactly that.

I think I have also recently read somewhere about a "haunted" power supply that had a similar issue, but that may have been a halloween joke, or a dream. :thumbsup:)
I shall have a look around and see if I can find it again and get back to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users