Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help: Xp Firewall Confussion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 distroyer

distroyer

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:04 AM

HELP: XP Firewall Confussion

Hi,

I have XP professional with Service Pack 2 Installed. And from 5-6 months since i have installed my windows....the Windows Firewall that comes with SP2 is always on and I am using NOD32 anti-virus system which is always upto-date.

My question is,

1)Whats the comparison of this Windows XP Firewall with any other personal firewall software like Sygate personal firewall if i say or any other one like zone-alarm?? I mean is windows xp firewall better than sygate firewall or any other firewall...OR is it equal to that OR is it inferior than that OR is it totally different thing and HOW??

2)Even after following the steps in this forum abt scanning the pc with anti-virus before i can post the log of hijackthis and I scanned my pc with bitdefender and hijackthis type of software and i also posted the log of hijackthis on this forum and got a response that the log doesn't show anything suspicious..i dunno why my gutt feeling say that some data is logged and is going to a remote computer(may b undetectable trojan) but i am not experiencing any problem with my computer in any way.

How shld i confirm this??

Waiting....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:53 AM

Hello the most pronounced difference is that the Win wall does not monitor Out bound traffic. The possibility exists that if a certain Malware were to already be in then it can phone home and the user would be unaware that it is sending your info out. as your concern in question #2. I personnally recommend the Comodo Firewall. It takes abit to learn your PC but nothing is getting passed it.

It is free and you can get it from this list..Freeware Replacements

While there Scan your PC with Superantispyware from safe mode, use the free home version. That with the all clean from the HJT team and you should be good.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:57 AM

in addition to boopme's excellent advice you might look into what programs are running under exceptions in windows firewall in conrol panel and use msconfig at the run command to see what startup items are calling home

seems everything wants to call home today
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 distroyer

distroyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for the immediate reply....

I almost everyday, check the start up and the services tab in msconfig to be sure that nothing is suspicious is running because i am not the only user of my system at my home. And I also check the Software values under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE in the Windows Registry. Till date I haven't found any thing suspicious in this, BUT I Don't know about rest of the registry...never gone through..But i have used registry mechanic too recently.

Edited by distroyer, 14 December 2007 - 12:28 PM.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:58 PM

Is there a specific reason why you think someone is stealing information off your computer? The best way I can recommend along with all the other forum advisor's is to be diligent about your virus protection which is what your doing. Know what websites you log into, check for security signatures when making purchases online. Check with your credit cards fraud protection services see what they offer. Be leary about clicking on every advertisement. The long and the short of it if someone wants the information their going to get it. Its your job to make it as difficult as possible and be aware when it does happen what your options are.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users