Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer, Completely Unstable

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 BadBeat

BadBeat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Location:The darkest depths of your worst imaginings. Or Slough, UK as its also known.
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:00 AM

The all important specs first.

Asus P5B Socket 775 Core2, Dual DDR2, PCI-E, SATA2 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6420, Socket 775, 2.13 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, Conro
OCZ OCZ2SOE8002GK 2GB(2 x 1GB) KIT PC6400 800MHZ 5-5-5-12 Memory
XFX 8800GTS 320MB, PCI-E Graphics Card
Seagate 500GB ST3500630AS Barracuda 7200.10, SATA300, 7200 rpm,
Antec Nine Hundred/Ultimate Gamer Case
Antec TP3-650 True Power Trio 650W Powersupply
Microsoft Windows XP Home
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit Edition

So I recently finished building this computer (2 partitions, xp and vista) and after sorting out a self inflicted software problem (doh) I got round to installing a few games on my xp partition. All of them, at random intervals, but in less than 5 mins of play, brought about a blue screen. As the blue screens mentioned a driver problem, I set about updating all my drivers. Then figured that, as I've already been online a fair bit already, I install AVG free, then zonealarm firewall. About 5 seconds after finishing the zonealam install, blue screen. And now, on my xp partiton every time I boot up xp, a zonealam pop up window appears, and a few seconds later, bluescreen. The message, every time, bieng:

Page Fault in non paged area
5O 0xc9378774 0x00000001 0x8061d4c7

So I tried my vista partition and while somewhat usable, I'm still getting bluescreens at apparently random intervals.

I figure it can't hurt, so I run the Windows Memory diagnostic tool, and it tells me that I have a hardware problem of some description, but praise be to Microsofts diagnostic tools, it doesn't give a hint as to what the problem might be.

So thats where I'm at, a completely unusable xp, and partly unusable vista partiton, with an apparently unknown hardware problem. And formatting my xp partiton isn't really an option incidentally, as I went and lost my CoA for my xp disc and have no idea how to find out what it is.

Please write your answers on the back of a postcard and send them to Bleeping Computer.
Behind you...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:38 AM

And formatting my xp partiton isn't really an option incidentally,

Are you saying that you put a hard drive with an operating system already installed into a new computer? That never works well. Your hard drive contains information about the previous system, and will be lacking information about your new system. When you install an OS, it looks at all of the hardware on the new system and installs the appropriate drivers on the hard drive. So your system is likely trying to use drivers for hardware for which they are not compatible. Your only option real option is to reinstall your operating system.

Or alternatively, your hard drive is going bad, in which case you will need a new one, and you will need to reinstall an os anyway.

#3 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Location:The darkest depths of your worst imaginings. Or Slough, UK as its also known.

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:42 PM

Nope, a new hard drive with a fresh xp install, I just happened to lose the cd key within about 3 days of installing it. :thumbsup:

Do you reckon the hard drive going the way of the dodo is the only thing it could be? Only had the darn thing for about 3 weeks.
Behind you...

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:02 PM

The hard drive could be bad right out of the box. It doesn't happen very often though. Since the diagnostics is giving you a hardware error, that's all I can really think of. Do you have another hard drive that you can try to boot from, just to see if it is indeed the hard drive?

#5 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:10 PM

I don't have a spare hard drive (at least not one I can rely on any more than this one) but I do know someone with a system similar to mine. If I take my harddrive and hook it up to his computer and encounter the same problem, then I guess I can pretty much assume its the harddrive.

Edited by BadBeat, 14 December 2007 - 03:11 PM.

Behind you...

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

That is sort of what it sounds like, although when I re-read your first post, and you said "after sorting out a self inflicted software problem", I guess I don't know what that means. Did the two operating systems conflict somehow? Did you inadvertently do something that is causing XP and Vista to interfere with each other on the disk somehow? Once you installed one of the operating systems, did you see if everything was ok before you installed the second disk?

I guess what I am saying is that although it sounds like a candidate for hard drive issues, there is another possible explanation.

#7 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:31 PM

It happened just after I installed XP, but just before I installed Vista. I accidentally deleted a set of drivers for my mobo, and my cd drives stopped working. Unfortunatly, the drivers (and the drivers for my modem, so I couldnt get online) were on cd. Took a while to fix that one :thumbsup: But I feel pretty sure its got nothing to do with this problem. Although I can't remember if my current problems started before or after I installed Vista on my 2nd partition.
Behind you...

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

You could test the drive with the manufactures Diagnostic tool. Segate/Maxtor, Western Digital. I would also recommend running Memtest. As for your windows key if you can provide Microsoft With valid proof of purchase you should be able to get a replacement key (I have never tried this though). I can't help but wonder if Groovicus is on to something with the operating systems conflicting with each other. IMO you should start from scratch and get a new key and install the OS's and the drivers. One at a time making sure neither point to the other partition including installing the drivers on each partition. As for trying your drive in your friends computer you will have issues with the OS loading your drivers then looking for his. It will cause the conflict you are already experiencing.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 mike08201

mike08201

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:36 PM

Not enough info to really get a good answer. Post the blue screen codes when you see it again.

Just for giggles, start with what is common to both. I would start with hardware, and the biggest culprit I've learned for fresh builds with folks just getting into this, is memory timing. Check your timing settings in BIOS. If they're too aggressive, it yeilds nothing but tail chasing.

Post back your results and the error coes when you get time.

Good luck
Any day you are on the planet is better than under the planet

The failure rate of hard drives is 100% so it's not if your hard drive will fail, but when <sigh>

#10 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:39 PM

From top to bottom:

The manafactures diagnostic tool keeps throwing an error message at me and refuses to detect my hard drive.
I can't seem to get memtest to run properly. Keep being told I have the wrong version for 64 bit Vista, but if its wrong, I'll be blowed if I can find a right version.
As to the memory, it was set at auto, which, unless I miss my mark would set it at 800mhz. Nonetheless, I put it down as low as I could go (533) and I still had the same troubles.

The error code I keep getting (for xp, the error codes I get when vista crash seem to be different every time) is, in its' full un-truncated glory:

Page Fault in Non Paged Area

0x00000050 (0xC9378774 0x00000001 0x8061D4C7 0x00000000)

And
0x0000007F (0x0000000D 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000) has come up a couple of times too.

Oh and if anyone can suggest a good 3-rd party disk formatting tool, I'd be grateful. If it comes down to needing to do that, I'd be in trouble otherwise as Windows won't let me format my xp partition.

And on an unrelated topic, if anyone has a fully functioning computer similar to this one, and perhaps, they want to enjoy the challenge of fixing something, then let me know and I can possibly be persuaded to do a swap with you. :thumbsup:
Behind you...

#11 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:19 PM

how many sticks of ram you got?

if 2 - swap out sticks, swap dimm slots etc, replace with know-good/working ram..

if 1 - either borrow someones or like take it to a pc shop for diagnostic (dont get it fixed there, just tested - shouldo nly charge u 30 mins)

gl with it!!!

EDIT: if you have the right recources, and time, grab yourself a copy of UBCD (www.ubcd4win.com) - had like 10000000+1 diagnostic utilities etc...so handy its not funny!!!

Edited by 4ward_tristan, 17 December 2007 - 10:24 PM.

=)

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:25 AM

Whoah.. slow up just a bit. How about we stick with the idea that it might be a hard drive issue, eliminate that as an issue, before downloading other tools on an already unstable system, just to see if the memory is bad?

It's entirely up to, but at the rate you are going, you are going to have everything all screwed up and will never have a system that runs properly. Deal with one thing at a time. Or go ahead and make your system more unstable. :thumbsup:

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:10 PM

Who is the manufacture of your HDD? And as for memtestx86 not working on Vista 64bit it shouldn't matter since its a Dos based program. You should download the bootable ISO image and burn it to a CD using Nero or ISO recorder. Insert the CD and reboot the computer make sure your CDrom is the primary boot device. But lets stick to the HDD first as suggested by Groovicus. If you can't get the manufactures diagnostic test to work on your computer try it in another computer. If it works ok on the other computer I would be suspicious of the MB IDE controller. We can tackle that after you respond.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#14 BadBeat

BadBeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:57 PM

As for memtest, I initially d/l the pre-compiled memtest which wouldn't work from vista. After reading what you wrote, I d/l the .iso and burned it to c/d but it won't boot from that c/d so I think I might just give up on that.

Also, looking through the microsoft support site, I came across this. Now, while I wasn't actually getting that error message myself, after doing this I was able to boot up xp in safe mode (where I couldn't before) and was able to uninstall zone alarm. I'm now able to boot up xp normally, but, like my vista partition, I'm still getting blue screens at seemingly random intervals. And I'm deathly afraid of installing Zone alarm again :thumbsup:

The manafacturer of my hard drive is Segate btw. When you say try it in another computer, do you mean hook my hard drive up to another computer and try running the test or d/l the test onto someone elses comp and running it on his harddrive?

Edited by BadBeat, 19 December 2007 - 02:57 PM.

Behind you...

#15 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:47 PM

Attaching your HDD to their computer and running the test software on the drive. I am starting to lean towards a format and reinstall it seems that something may have corrupted the installations. I would test the HDD first, but you mentioned that the HDD utility did not work. You will need to download the ISO image just like Memtest and burn that image to a CD. Make sure if your using Nero you select Burn ISO Image. Make sure in your Bios it is set to boot from the cdrom first. If you need more help getting the diagnostic to work let us know .
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users