Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer wont boot, need help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hdbnginsk8er31

hdbnginsk8er31

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 23 February 2005 - 07:26 PM

I think the problem is that my power supply isn't big enough but i have a 350watt. My friend says i should have at least a 450 watt because that my new CPU is a AMD Athlon 64. I think he is right but i want to see if this is the problem because i dont want 2 just go out and buy a new powersupply if i dont have to. Well when i try to boot my computer by pressing the on button my fans n everything starts for like a second or less then everything stops! I have checked the wiring and everything so i think that isn't the problem. When i try to turn on my computer it doesn't get far enough for it 2 get to the BIOS or anything to come up on the screen so clearing the CMOS on the mobo wouldn't help so I just need to make sure its the power supply thats the culprit be4 i go buy a new one. Heres a list of my computer, gigabyte sli mobo, eVga 6600GT videocard, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, DVD-ROM drive, and DVD burner, 350 watt powersupply, 3 fans, neon light, that should be it and thank you so much if u resopond to this and know the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSKY

JSKY

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:46 PM

My first guess would be a heat problem. It sounds like you have built your own system. Recheck the seating between your heat sink and CPU. Did the heat sink come with a thermal pad? Did you take the sealing tape off? Do you have to much or not enough thermal paste on, between your heatsink and CPU?
To see if it is the Power Supply, Undo the power to your DVD-ROM drive, and DVD burner and what ever else you can to see if it powers up.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:18 PM

Another possible cause could a short between the motherboard and the case or some of the wires that connect the HDD light, reset button etc. Remove the motherboard and place it on a piece of cardboard. Only have the CPU, RAM and video installed and turn it on. For this test you can disconnect the fan on the CPU as it will only be on for a few moments. It should boot to the screen where you see your bios version. Then add the CPU fan. Put it back in the case and connect things one at a time until you find the problem.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:14 AM

Just as JSKY and Leurgy said... check for shorts and make sure your processor is thermally protected .... then try this:

I would unplug all non-esential components - your dvd drive, burner, case fans (leave the processor fan on), sound card (if not intergrated in system board), and network adapters), mouse, hard drive, and the floppy drive. Now power it up and see if you have any signs of life. If you get that far, add things back one at a time starting with the floppy, hard drive, mouse, dvd burner, a case fan, and then your neon lights. If removing components doesn't work, look at your memory... make sure it is plugged and snug. Recheck to see if it is the right type for your sys board.

one more thing... what is the computer telling you??? any beeps / flashing lights???

Rigel

Edited by rigelslight, 24 February 2005 - 09:29 AM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. – Will Smith

#5 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:00 PM

If the RAM wasn't seated correctly he would get two long beeps just before the post and it wouldn't go any further. But he's already stated it's not getting that far.

My guess is the machine is shutting down to protect the CPU.
Maybe it's not seated correctly or has a heat issue.
JTH

#6 march269

march269

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:43 AM

Would it do that if you had a bad processor?, cause im haveing the same problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users