Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For A Os For An Old Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 some12

some12

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:39 PM

The computer is some what unstable and looking for a linux version to use until I get a new one. Mainly looking for a live cd.

Specs:
Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 SE
OS Service Pack -

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 550 MHz (5.5 x 100)

System Memory 128 MB (PC100 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (10/20/98)

Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 12953 MB (3292 MB free)

And just for a lol at how old this is graphics card:

RAGE PRO TURBO AGP 2X (English) (8 MB)

If you need anything else please tell me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Zen Geek

The Zen Geek

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:26 PM

I know it's not Linux, but I've had the best experiences with FreeBSD.

#3 Squirm

Squirm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:31 PM

any linux should be ready to go. It just depends on what you want/need for the os. If you switch from Gnome/KDE to say fluxbox that will save you lots of resorces. Just shutdown services/daemons that you aren't using on boot and treat it like any other computer. Some distros I would recomend for older systems would be Ubuntux because its easyer for people to use if they are new to linux. My personal favorit distro isSlackware. If your looking for a little webserver, dns server something that you can run headless check out Centos

Edited by Squirm, 27 December 2007 - 09:31 PM.

#4 PCcruncher

PCcruncher

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:09 PM

Puppy linux should work on that. It is made for older computers and is a live CD.

#5 daklander

daklander

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:40 PM

Puppy linux should work on that. It is made for older computers and is a live CD.

I concur. I've had Puppy running on older PCs with no problems. Very easy install and easy to learn as well. The most difficult thing I think you'll run into is getting wireless working though in newer versions it's easier. Also on that old unit you will probably have to install the OS and then use the tools to get sound working and maybe even reset your video card settings.
A Note....Puppy is not a derivative of any other Linux distribution, it's all it's own.
Another light weight distro, based on PCLOS, is PCFluxboxOS running, obviously, Fluxbox as it's windows manager. There is also TinyMe, another light version of PCLOS but with the Xll Desktop environment. I like the looks and windows manager better than PCFluxboxPC but have had problems with it being much slower and stuttering upon streaming music. It is still in development and has come out recently with a new beta version I'll try later.
Austrumi and DSL are also worth a look as is GoblinX.

The old PCs I have that I use light weight distros are an old K6 500MHz and a Celeron 633MHz, both with 192Mb ram.
Prior to that I had an AMD 350MHz running as low as 128Mb ram running Puppy just fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users