Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resolution Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stacy Jamie

Stacy Jamie

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:28 PM

Hi! Don't know if this is the right place to put this (was a toss up between this, video, and monitors)... Anyway, I have a not-so-serious but still irritating problem that started happening only 2 weeks ago.

On random occasions, when I turn on my PC, it suddenly goes into a 1024x768 resolution. I always work with 800x600 and take note that I turn it off in 800x600. I just dont know how it could become 1024 when I dont even change the display properties. This never happened before.

Could anyone help me on this (to find the cause and how to remedy it)? thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 07:51 PM

If you review what programs automatically start when you boot up the PC, do you notice any that might interact with the display properties?
To see what programs auto-start:
Click start->run... and type msconfig in the textbox. hit enter.
when the config manager opens, click the startup tab.

Although not in high resolution, does similar behavior also occur in safe-mode?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:57 PM

Adding to jhsmurry's post, do you play games and/or use the Catalyst Control Center?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Stacy Jamie

Stacy Jamie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:04 AM

At Startup:
NvCPL
Nwiz
NVMCTray
Rundll32 p17
Updreg
Avgnt
Jusched
Reader_sl
Nerocheck
Qttask
Yahoo Messenger
Microsoft Office

- any anomalies?

And, yes, I play games .. but my brother does so more than me. Why? I am always the one who uses the PC last though.

#5 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:39 AM

I forgot to ask if you had anything in the startup folder, located here:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
(or just click start->programs->startup)

Firstly, give microsoft update a go. Install all critical updates. I've read that one of their patches (at some point) did address erratic resolution issues.

Also, you might want to set up a separate login than everyone else (if you dont have one already). That will help preserve your preferences.

Once you have your own profile, go back to msconfig and uncheck startup items (but keep avgnt active) that are located in the HKCU hive (in the list, they are marked as such to the right). Reboot to see if you want to keep it it or not. Many of them look like non-critical updaters and notifiers. The only entry I see there that you should definitely keep active is avgnt because it relates to your antivirus program.

Lastly, the startup entries NvCPL, Nwiz and NVMCTray all relate to your nVidia video card. I suspect they are probably HKLM ("for all profiles", in other words), but you could try disabling those temporarily to see if one of them is the culprit. Remember that disabling them might mean you will lose the ability to do other video related tasks (like games, for example).

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users