Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Restarts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mcdonk2k

mcdonk2k

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:32 PM

Just built a new computer and it ran great for about a week or so.

Case
ASUS P5K-V LGA 775 Intel G33 ATX Intel Motherboard
GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Rosewill RX950-S-B ATX Power SupplyIntel core 2 quad q6600
(2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

also running Windows XP Professional with sp2

the computer is randomly restarting while in Windows, while loading the OS, while going through the normal boot process, and even restarted once while in the bios. No blue screen or anything. any idea on what it might be?

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum and added a topic descriptor. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 13 December 2007 - 05:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:48 PM

I would try it on the benchtop, out of the case to make sure the board isn't shorting out. I would also try with just the memory installed then add things back one at a time
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:32 PM

You might want to make certain the heat sink is making good contact with the CPU. Also, you should use the CPU paste with silver in it, for maximum cooling.

I have seen workstations shut down because the CPU gets too hot. Also, an intermittently bad power supply can also do it. If you have another known good power supply, try substituting that.

Good luck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users