Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MvF Think Pad

MvF Think Pad

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:31 PM

Hey!

I'm running xp, i have an AMD Athlon 2400 and a M7NCG 400 biostart mother board, i have been unable to obtain any sound at all! It has on board audio and there is no audio icon, in the control panel when i go to sounds and audio devices there is no available or active options. In the systems hardware there looks to be some sort of audio devices that all claim they are working properly! Any help would be great thanks alot!!!

-Mike von Fange

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MvF Think Pad

MvF Think Pad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:06 PM

Alright, i did some more research and i believe i found my problem:
When i go into the Device manager and noticed under System Devices | Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator has an exclamation point at the front of its line. When I click on properties I see the following message: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
I have disable, enabled, deleted and reinstalled the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator. The exclamation point remains.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the on board sound card.

How can I get rid of that exclamation point?!!?

Thanks!

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:59 PM

I would first try SFC/scannow
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 spelingchampeon

spelingchampeon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:56 PM

If Scannow did not fix your issue...

Did you just start having the problem..or has it been present since you installed?

If you just downloaded something (MS Update or anything like that) have you tried to use System Restore?

I found a lengthy link about PnP Software Enumerator at: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1066427444 [Read carefully, as I think some of the posters are referencing Win98 or WinME, as opposed to your OS.]

Although you may have found the problem being the drivers.. you dont state where you are getting the updated driver from. Here is a link to the latest audio driver from Biostar: http://www.biostar:usa.com/mbdownloads.asp?model=M7NCG%20400

Also, boot up in safe mode, and make sure you only have 1 appearance of drivers loading up under the Device Manager.

If all that is fruitless, you can always email Biostar, as it is quite possible they have heard of this issue before.

GL

#5 MvF Think Pad

MvF Think Pad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:13 PM

Hey thanks for the replys, unfortunately to no avail! I ran scf/scannow and it completed in its entirety. I rebooted and still found the stupid exclamation point next to plug and play enumerator in system devices. I have looked at that link provided above and have tried just about all the suggestions, haha. I dont quite understand what they mean by locate swenum.sys and swenum.inf and "install" them again, i cant find swenum.inf. I was however able to find the machine.inf and reinstall that with the deleted entry as posted. Does anyone have any other ideas? This is driving me insane!!! :thumbsup: Also i was getting the latest updates from the biostar web page, thank you!

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:07 PM

Here's another troubleshooting list to go through
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307918/EN-US/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 MvF Think Pad

MvF Think Pad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:40 PM

Thanks, But still no luck, i emailed biostar with the problem, but it isn't looking promising! Any more help would be appreciated! Thanks agian!

-Mike von Fange

#8 drpepper55

drpepper55

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:41 PM

Having had a similar problem, in my case the sfc /scannow run fixed my problem (note it is sfc instead of scf and note the space after sfc and before the /). I see where you have tried that but that it didn't fix your problem so I did a few searches on google for you more specific to your described case and have this for you...

From a search on google, this is one hit that talks about what the 'swenum.sys' and 'swenum.inf' are and how to re-install. Try this link to read about it:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.ht...ssageID=1708516

Also from a search in google, this is one hit that explains what 'swenum.sys' is. Try this link to read about it:

http://www.file.net/process/swenum.sys.html

Edited by drpepper55, 20 December 2007 - 03:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users