Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black And White Unix Compatible Printer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:06 PM

I am helping a doctor who runs a medical center update his computer printing hardware. At present he is still using a dot matrix and wants to move up to a black and white laser printer.

He is running unix on his machine and has to stay with it for billing purposes with the software he is using.

Nearly every laser printer I have looked at lists Windows or Mac compatability. I can't seem to find any that will run on Linux.

The demands of the medical center are not great. It is estimate that approximately 1000 pages would need to be printed per month. The facility oes not need to have a unit that would combine fax, scanner, and copier as they already have that capability in other equipment.

I would certainly appreciate any and all suggestions/reccomendations regarding equipmentand manugacturer.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 01:21 AM

Linux now supports many printers, but because the printer manufacturers don't officially provide tech support, they can't list Linux on the box. Check the link provided by joedude.

HP, Brother and Samsung lasers are generally UNIX/Linux compatible. My Samsung 2151N actually came with Linux drivers on disc. While HP has very good compatibility and they post linux drivers on their website, I believe Brother and Samsung are going out of their way to provide drivers for and support linux. I am currently getting tech support from Brother in Japan via email for a Brother DCP7020 monochrome laser all-in-one. They are helping me reinstall new drivers to support a couple of extra features. The DCP7020 is more of a Small Office Home Office unit and works beautifully, but lacks a few features for a larger office environment.
If you want a production quality workhorse laser, the Samsungs and HP lasers appear to be very well built.

Canon and Lexmark lasers have some compatibility but they don't support UNIX/Linux so don't support them.

HP and Epson inkjets have very good linux support but would not be a good choice for a working office environment.

Hope this helps

Edited by Trio3b, 16 December 2007 - 01:35 AM.

#4 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:11 AM

Another good way is to see if it's apple/mac compatible as well as windows. Odds are, if it is, it'll work in linux as well. Obviously, this isn't always the case, and you should get the model #'s and bounce them off the site I provided for you to check.

Edited by Joedude, 16 December 2007 - 05:11 AM.

If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users