Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For Firewall With Small Ramprint.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:05 PM

I have been using Windows Firewall, XP Pro SP2, along with NOD32, Prevx 2, Sandboxie and SpywareBlaster.
I Want to know if there is a firewall compatible with this security array and will complement it. It must have a small RAMprint. I am behind a Linksys router.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

Check these out -
OnLineArmor (free and paid)
Kerio 2.1.5 (free) the tiniest of the bunch, something like 5meg tops
NVeda Safety.Net (free)
These 3 work well with NOD32 previous version, I think it's 2.7
BTW over here and at Wilders they list more (plus details how to make rules), but they don't specify the size.

Edited by tos226, 14 December 2007 - 04:31 PM.

#3 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:33 AM

Check these out -
OnLineArmor (free and paid)
Kerio 2.1.5 (free) the tiniest of the bunch, something like 5meg tops
NVeda Safety.Net (free)
These 3 work well with NOD32 previous version, I think it's 2.7
BTW over here and at Wilders they list more (plus details how to make rules), but they don't specify the size.

I checked all, but decided to try Online Armor Free. So far seems to work well with NOD32 ver. 3.0.563.0, Prevx 2.0, Sandboxie 3.20, and SpywareBlaster 3.5.1. OA Free ranks number one at matousec.com on leaktests, so I assume that the paid does too. I have the feeling that the paid might conflict with what I have. The free will do for me. So far, good. Thanks.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:22 AM

Your real compatibility problems will be with running two different firewalls at the same time. Disable Windows's firewall before launching any other firewall.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:20 AM

Your real compatibility problems will be with running two different firewalls at the same time. Disable Windows's firewall before launching any other firewall.
Regards,
John

Thank you. I know that, but I did begin to install Online Armor without turning off Windows Firewall. I caught it though. I cancelled the install, turned off Windows Firewall, then proceeded. Perhaps Microsoft could put an icon in the tray to remind folk that the Windows Firewall is on. Not running two firewalls on the desktop, not running two antiviruses are basic, but need to be constantly repeated. I constantly tell folk this.

My configuration is complete, minus Prevx2. I got in a little dispute with them.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#6 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:09 PM

tos226, I installed Online Armor Free. I like it, but I won a license for Eset Smart Security; so I decided to go with it. NOD32 was effective, small RAMprint; ESS has a small RAMprint too. Even though Online Armor passed all leaktests, that is not the only reason to choose a firewall. ESS was not tested. I decided to download all the leaktests to try against ESS, but the zip with them was blocked Eset Smart Security. I figure that if it can't get in, it can't call out to its parent site. Since I installed ESS my system runs faster, perkier.

I formerly used Prevx2 along with Online Armor, NOD32, and Sandboxie. I now use ESS and Sandboxie (also have PGP, and I include encryption with security apps.) and feel just as secure. But you know the threats evolve and the security apps play catchup, which is why I like the heuistic and intrusion detection features in ESS.

I hadn't won anything in four decades. I was looking for a free solution 'cause I'm poor, so this win came at an opportune time.

My realtime protection against spyware, viruses, and other malware is Eset Smart Security, browser protection, in IE 7 is Sandboxie which prevents writes to my system, and ESS against suspicious and malware downloads, other than the ondemand anti-spyware, antiTrojan, and anti-rootkit scanners, I believe that this will suffice for now. But the threats evolve; spyware, Trojans, and rootkits are used by criminal organizations now.

I have an active license for AVG Anti-Spyware, and feel this neurotic compulsion to install it; although I know deep within that two realtime anti-spyware programs may be just as bad as two realtime antiviruses.

What are your thoughts?

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:03 PM

WOW! what a cool win!
I haven't used eset security so no idea about their firewall. Just NOD32. I tried NOD32 v3 and it was very fine, but there are still some bugs, so I'll wait before updating.

Anyway, do you need extra anti-spyware?
I don't know. I wouldn't bother. If you've locked down IE7 and use Sandboxie (I don't know Sandboxie), probably no need. If it's bad spyware that'll try calling out, a firewall or NOD/eset should catcch it, shouldn't it?
I'd scan ocassionally with free a-squared and then SuperAntiSpyware but that's all.
I've read here that >1 antispyware is usually ok and I believe it. Still I wouldn't bother.

OnLine Armor was nice, but there was something I didn't like there. Don't recall what :trumpet:

Leaktests are a mixed bag in my opinion. Educational, yes, very, alert me to holes. Realistic? I wonder ...

Yeah, eset won't let you download or unzip some of those leaktests. And most are killed when you run'm. But what if ... remember, something like PCFLANK will hijack IE over a normal port 80. Yes, malware evolves, and we gotta be careful, always. I'd be looking into a host protection with something like System Safety Monitor or whatever eset has in their system.

Ever thought of switching out of IE7 into Firefox or Opera and a mvps HOSTS file instead of antispyware ideas?

I'm green with envy over the eset win. Great outfit, very responsive to customers, tight small footprints and effective at that, at least NOD32 is. Actually AntiVir is a winner as well when I think about it. I use it on another computer. It's free.

End of assorted rambling :flowers: I didn't answer your questions, did I? I don't know the answers :thumbsup:

#8 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:33 AM

Sandboxie

Check out Sandboxie. It is probably why I only need Eset Smart Security and Sandboxie to guard the attack vector through my browser. Mozilla Firefox (with NoScript, Cookie Safe, Cookie Culler, KeyScrambler, Download Statusbar, McAfee SiteAdvisor, and Web Developer as security extensions.) is my default browser. I only use IE 7 for my three Microsoft home pages, Live Blog, MSN pages, and Hotmail - and, of course, Windows Update. I only run unsandboxed browsers to site that I know personally are safe.

I've decided not to install a realtime antispyware; the ondemand scanners will suffice. I don't expect that they will find any malware, they will reassure me. I have more rootkit detectors among my ondemand scanners, IceSword, Panda, and RootkitRevealer; two antispyware, ewido micro-scanner, which detects Trojans and other malware, and SpywareBlaster (not really a scanner; it sets killbits which prevent spyware from embedding themselves in. I also have Trojan Remover; it is ondemand and can be set to do a quick scan at logon. I guess PGP Desktop Mail could be called a security app. It is DOD quality encryption. I keep my passwords in Password Safe, so only have to remember one password. KeyScrambler for IE 7 and Firefox encrypts from keyboard to forms all passwords.

I put all this out with the hope that someone will find a weakness.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#9 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:23 PM

Eset Smart Security flunks Gibson's leak test. I have heard told that it flunks the PCFlank leak test too. I tried downloading leaktests from http://www.firewallleaktester.com/leaktest7.htm
and these were caught by ESS and quarantined. It was the antivirus that caught them during download. I am not sure how to take this. I wonder if Online Armor and NOD32 might be a better combo. I am going to check Eset site to see if they discuss leaktests.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

Regarding leaktests. In ESS you can probably set things up more tightly. I'm not surprised that the AV section caught it (it's NOD, isn't it?). Firewall protects communication. AV and/or host protection systems can watch the system and part of eset's suite is, I think, system protection.

An interesting point of view here:
http://forums.zonelab.com/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=17197

And another (do see the 5/13 posts as well)
http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/...essage.id=17947
where more logic and additional protection methods are described

Consider adding free Antihook (infoprocess.com). I have it running on one computer with a firewall + Antihook + NOD32, and PCFlank has no chance, nor do most of the others, so long as I don't answer YES to 'do you want to permit such and such from hooking IE or running DLL or otherwise invading the integrity of your computer' type of question. And so long as I don't allow the firewall to make that new connection. If I do permit, well, then it's damage control time, but AV will normally see it before me.

Thanks for your links to Sandboxie. Interesting product :thumbsup:

Edited by tos226, 05 February 2008 - 04:41 PM.

#11 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:28 PM

Howdy, it's been a long time but I felt that I had to update information about what I'm doing. I seem to get away with it, so far. I now use Online Armor Premium, NOD32, Prevx, Sandboxie, Trojan Remover, and SpywareBlaster together. I have seen no evidence of conflicts. I don't consider SpywareBlaster as possible conflict; it sets killbits and then is dormant. Trojan Remover only scans on boot with its Fastscan, and only after NOD32's scan. It can be used as on demand scanner too or scheduled through NOD32's scheduler. No possible conflict there. Prevx's claim of cooperation, no conflicts, with more traditional antivirus products is true.

I run these above on an ancient system with XP Pro, SP3, with only 768 MB of ram with no perceivable hit on the system. I check the Event viewer regularly for possible problems.

I do have SUPERAntiSpyware, IceSword, gmer, Rootkit Unhooker, RootAlyzer, RootkitRevealer, Sophos anti rootkit, and SpyDLLRemover_v2_5 that I scan the system with each once a month.

Neil J. Rubenking gave Prevx a great review. It could be the only malware scanner, but it also does not conflict with others, like NOD32. NOD32, Online Armor, Prevx, Sandboxie make a great component suite

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#12 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:14 PM

I uninstalled NOD32. Prevx 3.0 my antivirus now.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users