Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hdds Samsung Spinpoint & Wd Raptor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

Soon to be building a new PC, I am thinking about how to organise my files over HDDs. While I will choose components that are RAID compliant it is not something I want to get into just yet. I intend to use an external HDD for backup purposes but I am wondering if it would be beneficial to install a 2ry drive for OS only.

I would like to dual boot Linux and Windows (Vista or XP not sure yet). I was definitely be going for a 500GB Samsung Spinpoint partitioned to hold programs and files separately. I would like to know if it is sensible to install an addition 74GB Western Digital Raptor drive to hold OSs only in order to get the system running faster and more efficiently. Buying in the UK, puts the Raptor at a greater cost than the Spinpoint as you can see from the links so it would actually be cheaper for me to buy 2 Spinpoints.

Which is the most efficient, cost-effective method of managing my data?

Thanks in advance.

*Edited to correct links

Edited by benny269, 12 December 2007 - 08:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

I think the most cost effective method is to not even bother with raptor hard drives. Sure they are a bit faster, but I doubt you would really notice the difference.

I know there is a trick if you make a certain sized partition on your hard drive (a certain percentage of your total capacity, but what this is I'm not sure of either), your hard drive reads/writes faster on the outside platters of the hard drive (or maybe its the inside :thumbsup: ?). If you maybe make a partition in this way, you can get a little bit better performance. Hopefully someone else can explain this better then me, and I hope I didn't confuse you too much!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:20 AM

That is correct about making a certain sized partition. :huh: The first partition is always done from the outside edge of the disc, to the inside. Data is being read faster on the outside of the disk being that it is traveling faster.

So, what they say is that you should size your primary partition to be a certain percentage of the entire disk, thereby keeping the "faster access partition" files all in the same area.

Sheesh, I hope I didn't just confuse you more. B)

So, get yourself 2 of the Spinpoints (if you really want to buy Samsung :huh: ) in order to use them in a RAID 1, and make the first partition about 20 GB, for the OS and programs. (some people might say this is big but in today's world it is not anymore)

Then, stick all of your data files on the rest of the disk. In your case, the other 480GB.

The RAID 1 will give you the protection of redundancy, in case either of your drives would ever go south. :thumbsup:

I hope this helps.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users