Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secondary Portion Of Partitioned Hard Drive Is Gone!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 burke91

burke91

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:39 PM

hey y'all,
weird problem....

i am running a dell optiplex that has a single 260 gb internal hard drive....
soon after purchasing it (2 years ago) i partitioned the hard drive into two parts, a "C" drive (containing all the windows junk), and a "D" drive.
all has been fine until a few days ago...

suddenly I started getting a bunch of delayed write failures in regards to the "d" drive (including "$Mft"), and after rebooting the comp. today the "D" is gone. I am pretty sure that not only is the drive gone withen windows, BIOS does not recognize either upon startup. meanwhile "C" drive is fine and my computer starts and runs normally, just no presence of "D".

any ideas or help, much obliged....

ps. only thing i can remember doing was downloading a file from a trusted source....the free memory on the "d" drive was getting low 11gb free out of 160 but thats it....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:17 PM

I suggest going into Disk Management...and taking a look at what is reflected for the hard drive.

You should see two partitions on the drive, according to what you stated, with a total size of 232.88GB. There is no such thing as a 260GB drive. Under normal NTFS formatting, a 250GB drive will reflect the number I quoted (total useable space).

Louis

#3 Guest_techpro5238_*

Guest_techpro5238_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

Right click My Computer -> Choose Manage -> Click Disk Management. Can you see your D: Drive in there? What happens when you right click D: and choose Explore? Does it give you an error message?

Use my friend Eneles information at TSF to solve this:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-s...r-computer.html

#4 burke91

burke91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:47 AM

i tried to access the drive via disk management but no luck. the "disk 0" lists:

47 MB FAT (Healthy EISA Config)
and
Optiplex Disk (C:) 148.96 GB NTFS (Healthy System)

previously this bar also listed Disk (D:) at about 150 GB....

sorry about my original post... the disk is approximately 300gb in size....

also, some more info:

on boot up, i get a double beep and the error:

"Drive 1 not found: serial ata, sata-2"

what next??? thanks dan

#5 burke91

burke91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:31 AM

ok.... more info....and i seriously apologize for being a dork....

turns out that i don't have a partitioned hard drive, actually two physical hard drives.
i opened the case to find this out then i noticed the two hard drives...
at this point i checked the wires, connections and such.....

sure enough, upon boot up, i didn't get the bios screen error.....

now my issue is.....

1) i can't see the disk in either windows (my computer) or disk management, but i can see it with "partition Manager" and it is designated with a "*".
2) on start up, i keep getting kicked into a boot time defrag pass that i can't terminate....

thanks again, and sorry for being a boob..

dan

#6 burke91

burke91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:48 AM

ok the latest....

the boot time defrag pass was a service of my "perfectdisk 8.0".... for some reason (the setting must have been changed) it put the c drive into defrag at reboot...

it terms of my last existing issue....

on reboot, the computer does not recognize my "D" drive in either my computer, disk management or partition manager.
but the device is seen in "device manager - disk drives". if i disable the d drive there (drive at location 1) and then reenable it it then becomes visable in my computer and disk management.....

any ideas???

#7 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:04 AM

the drives probably failing.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:40 PM

Seems to me that you have two drives with the same letter assigned :thumbsup:, I've done that myself.

XP can only reflect one in My Computer.

The way to test this/solve it...go to Disk Management and change the drive letter assigned to any drive other than C: (make your visible D: a Z:, make your invisible drive a Y:. If they both show in My Computer after that, you are golden.

FWIW: The optical drive (CD/DVD) is usually assigned letter D: by Windows. If that's one of the drives in question, I would eventually reassign D: to it, while using anything other than A:, B:, C:, D: for any other drives (without duplicate assignment).

Louis

#9 burke91

burke91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:01 AM

hamluis.....

i think your off on this one....

rebooted again as usual...but i went into bios just to verify that it "sees" both hard drives sata0 (c: - working fine) and sata1 (our problem drive - nominally at D:). sure enough it saw them both, ran disk diagnostics while i was there as well... both disks passed.
when windows booted up, the sata1 (d:) drive was not showing up in "my computer" or "disk Manager" but is shown as an * under partition manager.

again i did the disable/reenable thing under device manager and again the drive was now seen everywhere and running fine.

at this point i tried to change the drive letter to something unused (O:), the change went through ok.

next i shutdown and rebooted.....

again on reboot - windows doesn't see the sata1 (now named O:) drive until i do the device manager shuffle (disable/reenable). after this it is visable as the O: drive.....

so i am back to square one with this....

suggestions????? thanks.....

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,832 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:09 AM

I don't have a clue :thumbsup:.

I've never seen a hard drive situation (other than DMA election) where doing anything via Device Manager mattered at all...for me, it's the BIOS or Disk Management which are the key areas.

For me, the only situations where Windows has trouble recognizing a drive...never had anything to do with Windows, but with the factors I've already mentioned.

Try new/switching cables yet?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 December 2007 - 11:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users