Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering Info To Another Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BoomerD

BoomerD

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:55 PM

I bought a new laptop last week and would like to transfer some files from my old desktop to the new laptop. I tried my Memorex memory stick but the old computer wouldnt let me run it. My old pc is a 2000 dell with the W98 upgrade. Do I need to put some kind of program on the old pc to use a portable memory device? I mostly want to get about 350 songs off the old pc. What would be an easy and inexpensive way of doing this? My computer skills are moderate.

Thanks
Boomer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_techpro5238_*

Guest_techpro5238_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

Hi BoomerD and welcome to BleepingC :thumbsup:

You can take the Hard Drive out of the PC and buy an enclosure to put it in. Then plug the USB from the enclosure, into your laptop and take the data off. It will act as a removable drive on the other computer.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:34 PM

Home network...crossover cables...

Louis

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:37 PM

Most memory sticks have Win98 drivers available on their websites, under support or downloads.

Download the drivers onto a floppy and install them on the Win98 machine. The memory stick should then work fine.

DR

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:11 PM

hamluis idea is good or

If the new PC is XP you can use the ...Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP

If you're not networked, you can use a null modem serial cable, available at electronic stores or stores that carry computer supplies. The cable plugs into a serial port (also called a COM port) on each computer. Most computers will have nine–pin serial ports so be sure to get a nine–pin cable and one long enough to reach both computers.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users