Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Simultaneous Connections?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:52 PM

I'm currently with Sympatico ( Canadian ISP ) and I've fed up with them and I've convinced my mom to go with Videotron. ( Cable instead of Sympatico's DSL, alot faster ) And on Satuday the companies installing the cable internet yet my mom hasn't canceled my DSL line.

So my question is, can I run both at the same time for different programs, such as my DSL for Azureus (Torrents) and teamspeak, and then he cable for games? Because I'd like to get my my last months worth out of my DSL. There not very friendl and like to add on bandwitdh fees.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:33 AM

If you have multiple NICs, theoretically you should be able to run as many simultaneous connections as you have NICs.

This is quite popular actually with mobile computer users, who will often use two wireless APs and NICs from the same machine. (i.e. built in WiFi card for Internet and a PCMCIA or USB WiFi adapter for scanning / packet capture... i'll leave the purposes of that up to the imagination). I've setup a desktop with multiple WiFi adapters using the PCI bus wireless card + cantenna and a USB Wireless-N adapter and can connect to different wireless APs simultaneously. Laptops are usually the preferred platform for scanning / walking across multiple wireless APs simultaneously while utilizing multiple WLAN adapters.

If you have two of the same NICs, you can bridge the connections, to create a single connection with the bandwidth capacity that is the sum of the two connections - which could boost performance for online gaming, downloads, uploads, etc. I believe there is also a way to bridge a wired LAN connection with a WLAN connection, but i've always been in situations of using a wired LAN at work and WLAN from home, so i'm not sure how that would work without software to control it. WLAN is the only method i have used to successfully run simultaneous connections.

Edited by Cyb3r_Ninj@, 13 December 2007 - 11:34 AM.

Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users